Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of our hedgies' urine went real dark on Saturday night. Then did not urinate until Monday night. A urine sample was obtained by clean catch mid-stream. The results are pointing to diabetes. We need to have some blood work done. There was protein +2, glucose +2, no bacteria, small amount of RBC and no WBC in the urine. The urine was also sent out to a lab to have the results confirmed.
She also did not eat on her own since Sunday. I have been syringe feeding her. Today I picked up a can of AD at the vets and syringe fed her a little, then she ate some on her own about tsp total. She is also sneezing and blowing bubbles out her nose again. She was started back on Enrofloxacin twice a day.
Our vets are short staffed this week and there is no openings to get her in to be seen. The one vet said if she does not turn around by Thursday he will make room in his schedule to see her. I would have to drop her off in the morning and they would call after she was seen.
Has anyone had a hedgie with diabetes?

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Stress from a vet visit can give false positives on urinalysis for diabetes. I had a girl who showed that on urinalysis but with blood work she was fine.

·
Registered
754 Posts
My thoughts are dark urine, would be a slight bit of blood in the urine, possibly from an infection. If it was diabetes, there would be excessive drinking and urinating, in my opinion, but I am not a vet.

I hope she gets better soon.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Looks like everything is pointing towards kidney failure. With her being 5 years old we are thinking of not putting her through any more testing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts