Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I wrote earlier about my little boy having a chest wound a couple weeks ago. The vet gave me some drops to apply to his skin and he is right as rain again. Well he was stressed out with not feeling so well he wasn't eating as much as he usually did. Since I started treating him he's been gradually eating more and more and now he is eating a very significant amount of food. Which I'm happy about. However his poops are small and dry. Extremely dry. They look black because of how dry they are but when I smear them (with difficulty) on a paper towel, they are dark brown. He has been gorging on some various dried insect treats more than usual, like dried black soldier fly larvae, crickets, and some mealworms but I have also added a new kibble to his mix. He poops but not big logs like he used to. He has pooped maybe like five or 6 little poops the size of rice grains. Is this a cause of concern? Is there anything I should do besides lower his dry insect consumption? From what I see through the camera I spot him drinking water sometimes throughout the night.

·
Administrator
3,635 Posts
If he were mine, I'd cut the dried bugs. There were posts a long time ago on here of dried bugs causing impaction when given in large quantities. I'd also get more liquid into him. Will he eat wet food or pureed vegetables like sweat potato, peas or even bits of watermelon? Those items can help get a little extra liquid into them. I'd try that first if you are certain the stool is just coming out hard. If that doesn't work quickly, it may be time to go back to the vet just in case something bad is going on. Continue to make sure he is going, if he stops completely its time to go back asap.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If he were mine, I'd cut the dried bugs. There were posts a long time ago on here of dried bugs causing impaction when given in large quantities. I'd also get more liquid into him. Will he eat wet food or pureed vegetables like sweat potato, peas or even bits of watermelon? Those items can help get a little extra liquid into them. I'd try that first if you are certain the stool is just coming out hard. If that doesn't work quickly, it may be time to go back to the vet just in case something bad is going on. Continue to make sure he is going, if he stops completely its time to go back asap.
He is pooping still, and peeing on the wheel as well. He will eat wet canned cat food. I'll cut the dried treats and feed him moist food, I'm going to pick up a pouch of pumpkin meal topper and see if he will accept it as well. I read that pumpkin could help as well? Should I feed him the wet food only tonight or offer it alongside his dry kibble?

·
Administrator
3,635 Posts
I'd offer it along side his normal kibble. We don't want to upset him if he wants kibble.

You can try pumpkin. It works great if you have one that will eat it. If they don't eat pumpkin I try squash, sweet potato, or peas. The extra fiber is nice, but he may just need a bit of extra moisture in his diet to soften his stools a bit for now. I had one once who needed pureed veggies routinely to keep her stools from getting too dry/hard.

One other thing to consider, don't make too many changes at once, we don't want to upset his GI in the opposite direction and end up with green loose stools. If he has had canned food in the past and is used to it, I'd try that first.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd offer it along side his normal kibble. We don't want to upset him if he wants kibble.

You can try pumpkin. It works great if you have one that will eat it. If they don't eat pumpkin I try squash, sweet potato, or peas. The extra fiber is nice, but he may just need a bit of extra moisture in his diet to soften his stools a bit for now. I had one once who needed pureed veggies routinely to keep her stools from getting too dry/hard.

One other thing to consider, don't make too many changes at once, we don't want to upset his GI in the opposite direction and end up with green loose stools. If he has had canned food in the past and is used to it, I'd try that first.

Hi there! Thanks for the advice. I tried some pumpkin and chicken wet food and he ate a bit, but I soaked his kibble and he ate it all and his poop is back to its big size and toothpaste like texture again! I guess he did need extra moisture! I've never been so relieved to see hedgehog poop. Lol.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts