Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!

I'm sorry to bother you all with another post about mites, but I've read a few, and still have a question. My year and a half hedgehog Meatball, has been a little itchy lately, however I haven't noticed any quill loss. I have seen quite a few belly hairs lost. I was wondering if mites tended to focus on a specific area, such as the belly or back, or if they were an all over infection, such a fleas tend to be. I've seen in many places that "quill loss" is a symptom of mites, but I don't know if "hair loss" is synonymous, or if it is indicative of a different condition, such as dry skin. Also, I was wondering if anyone knew whether exposure to flea/tick spray, a commonly accepted home remedy to mites, is harmful to the hedgehog if the hedgehog does not have that type of infection. Any insights would be very helpful and appreciated as a first-time owner. Thanks!

Jane

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Hey,

Mites generally cover the whole body, but there tend to be more on the back from what I've seen. Itchy with little to no quill loss, I wouldn't worry about. Lots of hedgies will scratch an itch, without having dry skin or mites or quilling issues.

You shouldn't give him/have him in contact with any sprays or other treatments, regardless of if he has mites or not. You can get a skin scraping done at your vet if you are concerned, though, and treat with Kitten Revolution (topical) as a precaution if you think he might have mites. :) There aren't any guaranteed ways of eliminating mites at home.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts