Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
409 Posts
What kind of wheel do you have??

My Damian had the same problem-- he was running on a wheel that had grooves on the bottom and would run himself bloody; the grooves hurt his feet!

Make sure you cut his nails. They can get caught (as you've already experienced) and they're probably REALLY uncomfortable. He may be trying to figure out a good way to run with them being so long and in the process hurt himself.

Marathon running shouldn't be a problem if you have a bucket wheel and give your guy a manicure every time he needs one. Keep in mind the back nails tend to grow A LOT quicker than the front, so you may have to do it 2-3 times a week :shock:

As long as he's eating/pooping/playing properly, the wheel and the nail thing is the only thing I can think of that could cause this. I wouldn't let him run on that wheel until you get a smooth one, though (assuming that you don't have one already).

· Registered
409 Posts
Good thinking.

If the flying saucer thing is still bloody after you trim his feets, then you know it's the grooves on the bottom that are hurting him. Then you're going to have to buy a smooth bottomed wheel, unfortunately.

That being said, the bucket wheels are virtually silent-- they're just a bit expensive :roll:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.