Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
tweasal seems to be pooping n peeing in his igloo and around his food i always throw out any food close to his poop but is it something i should be concerned with? he poops all over his cage as well and refuses to poop in his "litter box" but i know some animals wont poop where they sleep or eat and tweasal seems not to care that he is pooping and peeing where he sleeps and eats..is this normal hedgie behavior and hyigene?

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Is this a new behavior he does or something he has always done, and how old is he? I only ask because I remember hearing someone say before that they can show this behavior when they are sick. If he's just not using his litter area though I wouldn't be concerned because some just won't ever use it and I have heard of other peoples hedgies pooping in or near the food and water dishes. One thing you can do to help prevent pooping in the dishes is to get small heavy crocks for the food and water that are too small for the hedgie to climb in to help deter this. Outside of that though I think its just one of those individual things where sometimes you get a messy one and sometimes a tidy one :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
he poops everywhere else just fine and the normal amount but when i wash his fleece blankie in his igloo (once a wk) i find a poop or two nothing major compared to his normal amount of poop everywhere else.
i also changed food bowls from a little bowl to a reptile one thats heavy and easier access because he was climbing and tipping over his food bowl into poop, his cage is not small its a two story one n he knows how to go dwn he just likes to poop by his food i guess n a little in his igloo..guess i got me a messy one he's messy free when its his wheel tho =]
i dnt think he's sick, he acts just fine and now that i got him a playpen he goes crazy to run around in, he doesnt scratch more than normal or sneeze he's a healthy boy im sure, im just making sure a few poops in his igloo is nothing to be concerned about =]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts