Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Except not really...

We put a bucket wheel into Priscilla's cage about 6 days ago, and the first few days there were only small amounts of poop on the wheel in the morning - just a few, certainly few enough that I could clean the wheel thoroughly by spinning it and cleaning it with a wet cloth inside the cage.

However today and yesterday we have woken up to find the wheel is COVERED in poop! Enough that the wheel has had to be removed and hosed down in the bath for about 5 minutes each day.

There are three things I could think of that might do it, and I'd appreciate any help in figuring out what to change...

1) This poop peppering coincides with us putting a new fleece blanket into her cage as a floor instead of paper pulp bedding.

2) This also coincides with us giving her another type of food (a dry cat food) in her nightly mix

3) Since we removed the paper pulp, where we had seen her go in other areas of the cage, she has only gone on her wheel. Perhaps she is houseproud over her white blanket?

Any advice I'd really appreciate. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Hedgies poop on their wheels... there's no way to stop it. Clean it often and it won't get too bad. :D

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LizardGirl said:
Hedgies poop on their wheels... there's no way to stop it. Clean it often and it won't get too bad. :D
How bad is 'too bad'? Because this seems excessive.

I can't bring myself to take a picture of a gunked up wheel and post it on the internet, but you will have to trust me it has been about 10 times worse the last two nights than it was, and I am wondering why.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Yep, it's pretty gross. Quillamina's often looks like that, hedgies are so gross sometimes. But we love them anyway. <3

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.