Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
161 Posts
I was going to actually post on this subject today. I have to say that after getting my two hedgehogs I think that anyone getting a pet should ask what kind of poop they have before they get them.

I read all around HHC and I did read some of the poop/wheel threads but even with that input it was a big shock :shock: :shock: to me to find a coating of poop/urin all over the wheel. Then to have TOOTHPASTE consistancy poop come out of the hedgehog while you are holding it or bathing it is quite an experience for a new owner.

I was thinking/hoping for pellets, like hamsters or GP pellets, or tiny mice poopies. LOL However, as you can see by the tag line on my posts I think that their cuteness does outweigh their poopness. I am also looking forward to the day when they are older and the pooping gets less as I have been told it does.

This might help you:

I have a CWS wheel and it is easy to clean. I have gotten my wheel and cage cleaning down to one hour for both hedgehogs including changeing water and food and checking their feet. I clean both wheels and cages in the evening before the hedgehogs wake up. I put the wheel in the shower and then spray it with a commercial cage spray, I let that sit while I change cage liners. Then I put on disposable rubber gloves and wipe the wheels off with paper towels. I then turn on the shower and let it run. That rinses the wheel of any chemicals. Any urin or specks of poop I missed go right down the drain too. I have a plastic bag ready for the dirty paper towels and the used gloves.

This is kind of unpleasant. But I think having the hedgehogs in my life is worth it.

· Registered
161 Posts
Yup, cooked on. Sometimes in the morning I ask myself how one small animal can make such a mess.

My chihuahuas use pee pee pads when I am at work. Sometimes I come home and it looks like they invited other dogs over to add to the poop. LOL

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.