Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help!
I've had a hedgehod for about a month and a half and a few weeks ago I noticed blood stains around her cage. When I gave her a bath, I noticed it was coming from her underside, so I assumed it was coming from her vagina. I called a few vets offices and none could give me a straight answer so I chalked it up to being a period but about two days ago I noticed she had a really big piece of poop coming off her and it's been there for a few days, every day she seems to get a little more of it out, but today when I tried to get up close to her, I realized that it was bloody. I have no idea what;'s wrong but I'm really worried

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
She needs to see a vet ASAP. Hedgehogs don?t get periods. If she?s bleeding from her vagina it could be uterine cancer (common in female hedgehogs) or if it?s blood in her pee it could be an urinary tract infection. If it?s in her poop she could have internal bleeding, cancer etc. Either way, she needs to see a vet.
(Of course it could be something else as there are more options but these are the most common).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much for your help, I'm new at the whole hedgehog thing but do you think it could be a prolapse? That's what my family seems to think and in that case it's pretty much incurable :/

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
We have no way of knowing - she NEEDS to be seen by a vet in person ASAP. Regardless of what it is, she needs to be examined, diagnosed, and treated. If it's something incurable, she needs to be humanely euthanized at the vet, not allowed to suffer at home. But you won't know until you have a vet look at it. The sooner, the better, so she's not in pain or uncomfortable.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts