Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a litter box for Edgar that I keep putting his poopies in to entice him to use it, but he wants to go anywhere at the moment. I have towels and fleece in the bottom of his cage, is there anything else I can do to help with the process? Also, I put the litter box where I saw him going to the bathroom the most, but now he is choosing a new spot. lol :p I had to use a moist towel this morning for his little paws... Any suggestions guys?

·
Registered
250 Posts
How old is he? Babies make a lot more poop than adults and I think they are harder to litter train. Quillbert was a messy little poop machine, but once he got older he started going on his wheel much more frequently and only pooped in the rest of his cage every once in a while. It might be that the problem will solve itself when he gets older. As it is, I don't know that there is really anything else the you can do that you aren't already doing. Persistence and consistency are key.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not exactly sure of his age but he is definately a baby :) he doesn't actually like his wheel and can't quite get into it himself yet so I am trying to exercise him other ways right now. I will just keep trying to get him to use that box. I love him so much though that a couple poops don't really bother me :)

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
What sort of wheel are you using? My boy started using his wheel from the day I brought him home at 7 weeks old. Perhaps others can make suggestions on how to lower it a bit so yours can climb into it easier.

Also, every time I took him out of the cage, I'd gently place him into his litterbox and wait till he uses it before I let him out. I usually do that for about 2-3 minutes, where I'll gently put him back in again if he walks out, and he got the hint quickly to go first and then he can leave. But then again, I've always been really lucky, as he was very easy to litter train... Actually, he never needed training, he just knew.

You say that you have fleece and towels in the cage.... Be careful with the towels, because if he starts digging through the towels, his little nails can get caught in the loops and could end up pulling a nail out. Safest to stick only with fleece in the cage. I only use a towel after baths, when he is supervised.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm using the silent spinner wheel right now which a friend of mine who has a hedgehog suggested... I have put him in it and he has kinda started to walk but just doesn't seem happy with it at all. Maybe it's something he will grow into...

I will try that suggestion about the litter. I have noticed though that he prefers to go when he wakes up in the middle of the night... I haven't actually watched him poop yet...

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
The silent spinner is borderline dangerous to use.

The slit in the middle can catch nails, the entire wheel can fall apart, it can also tip over and severely injure as well. If you do a search(located upper right corner) for Silent Spinner, you'll find the many threads on the dangers of the wheel in more detail.
The comfort wheel is a much better choice.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok cool, thanks for that info. Also, last night we were playing and I noticed that I saw his little tail, so I quickly put him in the litter box and he had a poop in there :) I am hoping that each time i take him out to play he will notice that I am putting him there for his business and that it will become a habit.

I will look for that other wheel too, don;t want things falling apart on my little fellow.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts