Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a first time hedghog owner, and I got my Molly about a month ago. I got her as an adult, She's about nine months old. She's super nice and fun, but the only problem is her poop. For a while I just let her poop on her wheel, but a few days ago I put a litter box in her cage for her to go in. It hasn't worked yet, so how long does it take? Considering her age (and the fact that I don't think the breeder ever used a litter box), can she be litter trained?

Most importantly, she poops on ME! Or for that matter, wherever I let her out of her cage. She seems to go a healthy amount inside her cage, but when I take her out, it isn't a matter of IF i'll get pooped on, but when! Even if she can't be litter trained, I would love to not get pooped and peed on all the time. What can I do?

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Its possible she can become litter trained but its possible she won't either. Not all hedgehogs will be potty trained. One trick you can do is to put some of her poops on the paper towel where you want her to go. She may pick it up.

Hedgies usually will poop and pee once they wake up. One thing that might work is if you give her a few minutes after waking up to grab a little food, water and to go to the bathroom. Mine usually goes in the first 2 minutes its awake and after the hedgie does their business then you can pick them up and are less likely to get pooped and peed on. This isn't a 100% as each one is slightly different but it would be worth the try :)

·
Premium Member
8,486 Posts
Even if she does use a litter box...she will probably always poop and pee on her wheel, they can't really help it, its natural for them to go to the bathroom when running. That would work really good in the wild...but not so good on wheels...lol

1 - 3 of 3 Posts