Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've gotten Pippin home and she's settling in nicely. Since Pippin is my first hedgehog, I had made arrangements with my chosen breeder to show me how to give her a bath and do nail trims. So before Pippin came home she got a bath and a nail trim.

Pippin clocked in her first mile or miles on her wheel last night, and of course she had poop boots this morning. Cleaning the wheel was no big deal. Cleaning her poop boots was a small test of patience. However, it looks like some of the poop is still stuck under her nails and with as tiny as her feet are, I can't get it off. (It's like when we have dirt under our nails.) Any suggestions on getting it out, or is this something that's pretty common and will come out in her next bath? Her nails are cut as short as we could safely cut them yesterday so nail cut is out of the question until they grow out again.

Also it looks like she might have rubbed against the side of the wheel and got some poop on her side. I got most of it off before she got grumpy and I let her go on off to bed for the day. I figured I'd try to get that little smudge (its like one quill that I missed when I cleaned her up) tonight when she's a bit less grumpy about being awake.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Ignore the grumps, wash when you want :lol: encourages her to get used to bathing.

I've had to use a toothbrush to get under Quinnlee's nails occasionally. Also, applying soap directly to the feet and let the hog walk around in the bath on a wash cloth helps, too.

I always feel nervous nail clipping without clean toes!

Having fun with your Pippin? :D

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SouthernSweet said:
Ignore the grumps, wash when you want :lol: encourages her to get used to bathing.

I've had to use a toothbrush to get under Quinnlee's nails occasionally. Also, applying soap directly to the feet and let the hog walk around in the bath on a wash cloth helps, too.

I always feel nervous nail clipping without clean toes!

Having fun with your Pippin? :D
I had already dug her out of her sack first thing in the morning (like 9 am) when I cleaned her wheel and went after her for poop boots. So I'm sure she had only recently gone to bed and wasn't happy about being taken out and woken up that way. :lol: I'll have to try with the toothbrush later tonight, at least she can't be grumpy about being woken up. She'll already be up. I'm not worried about her bein grumpy so much as she's still a growin baby, she needs to sleep, grow, and I wanna try to maintain some level of "routine" that she and I can agree upon... as soon as I can figure out what that is with Pippin joining my clan of critters. :) We're having a blast though. I'm going to probably start a Pippins Adventures in Ohioland thread.. make it kind of like a blog with updates and photos. Right now we're figuring each other out. But I'm still grinning and giggling like I was while I was waiting like a child for Christmas. :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.