Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had Audrey for 2 weeks (seems like so much longer!) and after the initial adjustment period her poops had been perfect. She was on Baytril for a week for a sniffly nose, but the whole time she was eating like a horse (she's grown sooo much!) and pooping fine. But this week (after being off of the Baytril for at least 3 days) her poo's been softer, with a more greenish tinge and distinctly more smelly.

I've read on here that antibiotics can bother their tummies, but she was fine the whole time she was taking the meds - it wasn't until shortly after that there was an issue. I tried sprinkling acidophilus on her food as well as trying (in vain) to get her to eat some pumpkin, but her poop seems the same. She's still eating a ton, though it seems that lately she's been less active and sleeps more. Before when I put her in her playpen she'd go nuts running around, sniffing, getting stuck in tubes etc. But now she just looks for a place to snuggle down into. She's also quilling it seems. How much should I attribute/what issues should I attribute to quilling? Is there anything else I can do to fix her poos? I never thought I'd be so worried about poop! :?

Maybe the food is what's causing the poos? I haven't been able to reach her breeder the few times I've tried to find out specifically what type of kitten chow she was on (but the kibble looked the same as the Purina indoor cat kibble). I started feeding her Purina kitten chow the 2nd week I had her after running out of the food the breeder gave me. Audrey loves it, but could that be the reason for her soft, smelly poop? My significant other already mixed a bag of the purina indoor cat food with the purina kitten chow we had, so I can't just switch to the Indoor and see if it helps. I'd hate to waste 2 bags of food :/

I also switched to fleece cage liners around the 2nd week. Maybe the aspen bedding she used to be on just absorbed the smell more?

·
Registered
651 Posts
My best guess is it's the food. If you can find out for sure what she was on from your breeder that might help. Purina isn't a super great food so you should eventually switch her off of it once she's settled in. I know sometimes adult cat food causes less upset stool than kitten food for cats, so it may be worth a try.

Try crushing acidpholus tablets (or breaking open the capsule) into a plastic bag. Put either mealies or crickets (crickets are easier for this) in and shake. This will "dust" the bugs with acdiophilus and get your hedgie to eat it. I find it takes 2-3 days of a good 2-3 large pinches of acidophilus on my hedgie's food to clear up the green stool.

You can also take some pumpkin, water it down, mix in the acidophilus and then syringe feed it into Audrey's mouth for a few days. This could help with the poop.

Otherwise it may just take a few days for her stool to settle. I doubt it was the baytril if it happened after the fact, but you never know.

Did the vet check her again to make sure the baytril cleared up her infection? I just ask cause 7 days doesn't seem like a very long treatment. I usually have to do 10-14.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've been sprinkling 1-2 pinches of crushed up acidophilus tablets onto her kibble for the past 2 nights - is that okay? It seems like she's getting it. As for the pumpkin, Audrey will not take anything from a syringe - I had to mix her baytril into her favorite baby food. But I'll try again! I've been hoping her poops would just go back to normal eventually, but its been 4-5 days. I'm probably just getting unnecessarily anxious. Her infection did seem to clear up though. She's not congested anymore - no sniffles, sneezing, or snotty noses etc.

Also, is the lack of wheeling/general exploring normal during quilling? She was such an adventurer when I first got her. I'm not sure if I should take that as an indication that something's wrong..

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Forgive me if I read it wrong, it's getting late over here...

So you ran out of breeder food, and so you gave her brand new food, with no introduction period, is that correct?
If that is the case, then yes, the soft poop will be due to the sudden change of food. It usually takes me about a month to incorporate a new kibble completely(5 kibbles of new/week, then 10 kibbles for a week, then 15 for a week, etc etc until I get to the desired mix ratio that I want).

What you have been doing, seems fine so far... Just make sure she drinks lots, because the sudden change has given her an upset tummy. Considering it's been almost a week, something more drastic may need to be done. Perhaps someone more experienced would have more input on the matter.

If I did read it wrong, do forgive me. It's late and I can't sleep XD But my mind is still tired.

Also, any type of "chow" is crap and usually full of corn fillers and animal by-products...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice, its late over here too - I'm just up worrying :/ I didn't introduce her new food kibble by kibble, but did mix it in with the little breeder food I had left a little at a time. She's now eating half Purina Kitten/half Purina indoor (which to the best of my smelling and observational guesstimate is what she was on before). Now I see I introduced it way too fast :(
Should I just keep up with the acidophilus and hope it gets better? I'm not sure to what to do since I don't know for sure what she was on before.

If the Purina kitten chow isn't good, should I try one of the other recommended cat foods? And if so, how would I go about introducing that, since she's just now getting used to this half and half mix?

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
At this point, it's really up to you what you want to do.
You could keep feeding the chow, and wait until her tummy settles, and then start adding a better food.
Or...
You may decide the food is just too bad to keep feeding, and decide to slowly make the switch.

It's a hard one to judge, just cause personally, I'd never feed anything with animal by-products. Long ago, with my first dog, we didn't quite know stuff like that, and boy, did she break out in allergic reactions. Ever since then, we had to be careful with what we fed. As long as we kept her on good food with no by products, she was fine.
But at the same time, you don't want to overload and upset her tummy even more.
So it's a tough choice, and it's really your call to make, since she's yours and you know her better.

If and when you do decide to add in a recommended food off the list, introduce it slowly! Start with just adding 5 kibbles and see how she reacts to the food. As long as all goes well, then you can start adding more, then wait again, etc etc. You can never be too slow when adding a new food.
The only time I've ever gotten soft poop from new food was when I adding in the Wellness, just because of how rich it is. But as for Natural balance, solid gold and blue spa select, all were fine to introduce at my pace, and my boy never had problems with the food.

·
Registered
651 Posts
You may your hedgehog is perfectly fine adding some new foods and that the transition process may only take a couple of weeks, whereas with other foods you may find it takes months to add them.

There's no "correct" adjustement period when mixing new foods, it all depends on your hedgehog. It took me months to switch Puff onto better food when I first got her, but with Oakley it seems like I'm able to add a new food every 2 weeks because he has a stomach of steel!

It all depends on your hedgehog, just watch carefully and remember if you notice poop is going soft when adding a certain amount of the new kibble (ie 10 kibbles), you can always go back a step to 5 kibbles until the poop settles and then go up a smaller incrament (ie 7 kibbles instead of 10). I've had to do this with some foods whereas with other foods I've been able to go from 10 kibbles right to 20 because my hedgehogs had no problem with them and loved them right off the bat.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts