Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My Quilly was acting weird the last week or two, and I thought it was because he didn't have a light schedule for 2 days - the light timer was broken and I didn't know it.

Yesterday I brought him to the exotic vet, and they kept him overnight. Nothing was truly obvious, until they were able to get an X-ray with him sedated. He came out of the sedation very well, which was good. The X-rays showed lesions on his lungs which they believe is pneumonia, so they started him on antibiotics and gave him fluids. I should be able to pick him up today.

Anyone out there have a similar experience and can offer tips for care?

Thanks!

· Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, Kelsey. It looks like cancer, with a tumor in his abdomen, and something that spread to his lungs. :( They took additional biopsies yesterday, and the vet is just waiting on the pathology. Treatment will likely be steroids and chemo. I'll let you know when I hear more...

The good news, and what the doctor can't really believe, is how friendly and alert he still is. He isn't wheeling, but he still gets up, interacts, eats, and drinks for the most part. They have me special protein-heavy insectivore diet food that can be syringed if necessary and he just eats it up!

· Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Went to the vet this morning. The biopsy results were still inconclusive... He had a few conversations with the pathologists and they agreed that without a firm cancer diagnosis they don't want to go that way for treatment. So that's good news! He thinks it may be an animal version of TB, since that is one of the only other things that could cause a large granuloma to form. They sent me home with another antibiotic on top of the first one, and I am continuing with the special food. It is a Emeraid IC Carnivore critical care food, and he seems to just love it! He eats most of it every night, as well as as many mealworms that he can scarf down.

He's gained 6 grams in the last week and seems to be holding steady overall, so the approach is antibiotics over the next couple weeks and close monitoring and connecting with the vet every couple days. He goes back to the vet on the 22nd if nothing changes.

Thanks again for your kind words Kelsey - they mean a lot, coming from you. Pancake was so lucky <3

· Premium Member
12,071 Posts
I'm glad he's holding his own & eating so well!! I'm glad there is a bit of hope, and I'll keep fingers crossed for you guys. Hang in there, I know how stressful & tiring it can be to nurse a sick hedgie for a long period.

And thank you :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.