Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I just got a 6 week old Hedgie and I can't get her to eat anything.
I've tried three kinds of store-bought hedgehog food, cat food, and yogurt. I've tried putting the food with water into eye-droppers, and same with the yogurt, but she won't eat any of it.

She was weened, but she's been away from her mom for two days and she hasn't eaten anything this entire time. Can anyone think of anything? Compared with the day that I picked her up she's super slow and sluggish, and won't run around much at all.
Any suggestions will be appreciated, I'm worried she's going to starve herself.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Where did you get her? A breeder should have sent some food home with her. Pet stores don't, they make you buy the food. Most hedgehog food is not good for them. Get some cat food. Check out the food list viewtopic.php?f=6&t=15. How warm is her cage?

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Sounds like it could be the food and/or temperature. Since she didn't come with any food to slowly transition I'd start with a cat food off of the recommended list and start slowly adding in a few more kinds from the list making sure to do so slowly to see if there is any stomach upsets. There is a lot of good threads with transitioning in new foods if you do a search up in the upper right hand corner. Your hedgie being sluggish could be from not eatting but could also be from temperature, the average temperature is around 75 with some liking it slightly cooler and others liking it slightly warmer.

One other thing I can think of as well is maybe putting her food in the bed with her because sometimes new hedgies don't want to eat because they are too scared to come out. If she don't eat very soon she'll have to be syringe fed until you can get her to a vet but hopefully one of the things above will help her out :)

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Perhaps it might be good to pick up a can of Hills A/D from your vet and start syringing her some food. Until you figure out what she's willing to eat.

And the other part as mentioned above... What's the heat set at? and what's your lighting schedule.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
If she is slow and sluggish chances are she is too cool. Warm up her environment and make sure her belly is nice and warm and she is walking and acting normally.

Many breeders wean onto Royal Canin Baby Cat. It is a small, easy to eat food and most hedgies love it. Count every piece of kibble you put in her cage and keep track. Try putting some food right in her bed with her.

Where did you get her from? If from a breeder, obviously not a good one to not send food home with her and to send her home 2 days after pulling her from mom. She should have been monitored once away from mom to make sure she was eating and gaining before being sent home.

Keep us posted. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts