Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my hedgie yesterday n am not sure if shes ok.
Its now 7:51 n she still not awake she did wake up briefly n took her outta her cage n put her in a pen thing ive made so she can run about thou after 15 mins she has gone bck in her house n gone bck to sleep.
Is this normal? Could it be because its a new house n maybe the car travel which was about an hour?

Please help!!

Zeta

·
Premium Member
8,486 Posts
Hedgehogs are nocturnal..so they sleep all day and are up all night. She should be sleeping now and you should be letting her sleep. I am assuming you don't know alot about them, maybe i'm wrong, but I would suggest reading up on them here on the forum, especially all the "sticky" post at the top of each topic. Congratulations on your new girl. Oh and just so you know...trying to keep them up and awake during the day isn't healthy for them, so I would just leave her in her cage to sleep and take her out later this evening. Mine don't usually get active till after 11pm..but I take them out for cuddle time around 8 or 9 pm, and they usually just sleep then.

·
Registered
46 Posts
She may not be very active until later in the night. My girl hates being bothered before ten.
If you just got her she's going to need some time to adjust to everything. Watch her poop and make sure there's not blood or spotting on her bedding. Also, I would count out her kibble and recount later to make sure she's eating.
Is she a baby? Then it sounds normal for her to want to take a nap after 15 mins. Maybe someone with more youngster experience will post...(?)
When you take her out, go to a quiet just let her lay on your lap under a blankie. She's probably too scared to do much else.

But, if you are really worried always check with the vet!

Good luck and congrats on your family addition! ^.^

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your help it is night time not day time i know they sleep in the day i was just worried ive done loads of research on owning one just wasnt sure if she was ok. They dont tell you what time they get up just that its night time i just gotta figure out what time she gets up.
She was very active last nite not sure what time she did go to sleep, shes got up 2 times since 6pm to have a drink or some food then gone stright bck to bed she still asleep now n its 8:25pm
I will just keep an eye on her n it may turn out to be that she likes her sleep n gets up later.
Ive already checked her poop n bedding n everything is fine im sure shes ok n that im just being over cautious i just want her to live a happy life.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just realised that u all live in America so its day time there i live in England its night here

·
Registered
250 Posts
My hedgehog's cage is the guest bedroom with my computer. If I'm in the room Quillbert won't get up, but if I leave and come back a few hours later around 10pm I can see that he's eaten and run on his wheel. That's when I take him out for bonding. Try not to be in the room and just check for activity every once in a while. After a few weeks you two will get into a pattern. Congratulations on your new baby!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Generally my hedgehog will wake up about 20mins after i turn off the lights around 10pm, every once and a while she will come out 2mins after i turn out the lights, I guess it depends on how much sleep she gets. If i turn off the lights around 9 she will still get up about 20mins after. My hedgehog is about 11 months old. As babies they will sleep a lot longer, it depends on your individual hedgehog but I wouldnt worry if they arent up by 8 or 9 pm, It could be that it isnt dark enough, there is noise, or they are simply still tired and will wake up in a few hours :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.