Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so, my hedgie Beatrice is a hot mess. I rescued her from someone who couldnt take care of her and bought her from a shady breeder. She had some pretty bad quill loss when i took her in, but she had seen a vet twice for it already, been medicated for mites, and then for a yeast infection. When i took her i kept her strictly on fleece bedding. After a while she got worse. Even though I was giving her baths with her yeast infection shampoo, she still got drier and drier and flax seed oil didnt do too much either. So for the third time, Beatrice saw a vet. They did a skin scrape and didnt find mites but found A TINY amount of yeast. So, they medicated her for an infection, gave her pain meds, ointment for where her skin was bleeding from dryness, and went ahead and gave me 6 weeks worth of mite medication anyway. 6 weeks later and it is WORSE. Durring the medicating process she got a little better and was growing some new quills, but now they just wont stay on. She has baby ones like peach fuzz size, but when they grow out they just fall off or grow in a curve. I am so worried she is in pain because I kid you not she is BALD she probably has like 20 quills? maybe? I give her baths, I feed her VERY GOOD CAT FOOD, and she gets moisturized daily. But, she still ends up all white and flakey!!! AND i noticed a split toenail on her front foot last night, so no more wheel. I just feel so bad and dont know what to do. She has had over $300 worth of vet bills. They other day I saw her stumbling around her cage too. Like... is she dying? is she in pain?... Her breeder might have inbred her, she really didnt know what she was doing. I took Beatrice in because I wanted to help her, but I am almost wondering if I will have to put her down... I dont want to. I just dont know what to do!!!:sad::sad::sad::cry::cry::cry:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts