Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I checked on my hedgie, pickles, tonight and when I picked him up I noticed quite a bit of poop caked around his tail and butt. I didnt check him yesterday night because I was at a friends, but my mom changed his water and fed him, just didnt check on him.

Anyway, it wasnt like that two days ago. Hes been doing just fine. I gave him a bath to get the poop off and I noticed his bottom was swollen and he had blood around his anus. I freaked out of course, but my mom said that it was probably like a 'diaper rash' of sorts - the poop got stuck, and then irritated his bottom. I'm really worried though because it looks a bit swollen, like he hasnt pooped in a while. Im not quite sure what caused it so I gave him a few cut up veggies in his food to make it easier for him to poop.

Has anyone encountered this before and could give me some help? Im really worried about him. =(

·
Registered
93 Posts
I am in the same way to think of your mom , it's probably a diaper rash ,
but you do the good thing when you give him some veggies to help him ,cause it will be easier for him to poop and probably help him don,t have more blood around is bottom.

But check him often during 1-2 days and if he have more problem it will be time for vet .

Good luck

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
It may be he has an intestinal blockage that won't pass, and he is straining and in pain because of it. I would say a warm bath and just let him soak for a while, and you pick up some unseasoned canned pumpkin. You can give him a bit of that to eat. If it is not a blockage, it may be parasites or something else.

I think it's possible it's just a rash, but likely something else.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.