Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm looking for some help with my little Hufflepuff.

I got my Hedgie about 2.5yrs ago from a local pet store. I was told he was "abandonded" by the family that had him for the first few years of his life. He apparently wasn't treated well by the kids in the house and was very "grumpy" (hence the name HUFFlepuff).

Lately Huff has become very fragile and weary. He's having a very hard time moving around and I fear he might have the WHS after reading some of the details of it.

He doesn't uncurl from his ball anymore. And if he does, he can't stand on his own feet anymore, as he tumbles onto his side. The last 3 nights have gotten progressively worse. He is barely eating/drinking, and his urine has taken on a very thick viscosity, almost like a jelly instead of a liquid. I unfortunately have very little funds, so a vet will be very hard for me.

I'd like to make him as comfortable as possible, but I get the feeling that he is hurting, as lately when curled up he has been shaking and almost grimacing by the look in his eyes. It breaks my heart to see him like this. I assume there is no getting better from his condition, but is there anything else I should be doing to take care of him here at home?

He's shaking so much now, even while sleeping. I don't want him to be uncomfortable. I am not sure what to do.

Here's a link to how he is shaking. Hopefully someone can help us out.

Thanks so much,
Josh Chace

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
I don't have much to add to the actual problem...And I second the vet visit...

But you might want to think about making it a little warmer for him, just to keep things comfortable. There are some here, who find that as they age, they need a bit more warmth to keep them comfortable. Maybe even give him a heating pad on the lowest setting, wrapped in fleece can make his sleep a bit more comfy.

·
Premium Member
8,486 Posts
I would suggest keeping him warmer as well...if he's feeling cool at all that may be part of the not wanting to unball and the not eating...but to be honest the best thing would be a vet.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Older hedgies tend to need a warmer cage and sometimes softened/crushed food. My older ones get a heating pad under half their cage and crushed food. A vet visit is needed also.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Oh my goodness... how heartbreaking! That brings tears to my eyes, just hearing about it. I'm so very sorry that your Hufflepuff is sick (great name, by the way).

{{{gentle hedgie hugs}}}

I'm new to all this, so though I can't offer any helpful advice, I can offer my shoulder and share in your heartache. Poor little fella. At the very least, he has had a loving home with you these past 2.5 years. I know you will do the very best you can for him.

Good luck, and please keep us posted on his condition.

·
Registered
49 Posts
You may want to confirm with those who have dealt with WHS but I am pretty sure that if they have it they can't or have trouble balling up. Yet ours is not unballing. It sounds more like a hibernation attempt or multiple ones. At this age they should be kept warmer most times. At around 78 F or 80 F. A vet really is needed since it could be there is an underlying problem which is possible with the jelly like urine. You may want to syringe food and water to get the system going again. Maybe talk to one of the Breeders/ Admins and see if they can offer any advice but it is no substitute for a good vet. all the best

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Hedgehogs with WHS usually can't curl into a ball as their muscles are affected and won't allow them to do so. This sounds more like a hedgehog that is too cool. I'd warm up the cage environment and offer a heating pad and see if that helps.

I have an elder girl right now who is cool despite 77/78F room temperatures. Without the heat disc, she is cool and not eating even though she still is able to walk around fairly normally.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts