Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, a week ago, I noticed that my hedgehog had his right leg bone kind of sticking upwards whenever he lays down. My mom thought he was compensating for his other side because he has a large cyst (which is non-cancerous, according to my vet) on the left side of his body. I tried to help him by massaging his leg to try to ease any pain, but a few days after, I saw that he threw up and then I noticed that he wasn’t walking normally at all. Instead of using the bottom of his foot, he limps on the top/side of it so that his toenails are on the ground. I haven’t noticed any bruising around his leg, but his upper leg bone is still sticking out. And because of the awkward way he walks, he sometimes accidentally rolls himself onto his back. He hasn’t been running for about a year now but I thought it was due to his cyst and that it was difficult for him to run because of it. I brought him to the vet as soon as I could and they didn’t really tell me what was wrong. I’m not sure if they checked his leg at all because they said they couldn’t look at it too well because he was huffy and scared. They just told me that it was probably because he is reaching the end of his life since he’s 4 years old and gave me a pain medication for his pain. But they never performed any x-rays on him or anything, so how can they be sure his age is what’s wrong? I have no idea if there are any better vets where I live. I just want to know what’s wrong with him so I can help him or even just keep him comfortable for as long as I can. Maybe it’s an injury that can be fixed? He still walks around his house but it’s hard for him to put his hurt leg down. I don’t know what this is, what to do or where to bring him. I just really need some help, to figure out what’s wrong with him and help him. Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was thinking that might be the case! I still need to keep an eye out for a new vet for him. I’ll be sure to let you know what it is when I do get him x rayed! Thank you for the reply and good wishes ♡

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update: We took him to a new vet and found out he has bone cancer in his leg. We cannot amputate his leg because the vet said that it would most likely spread. We’re going to try to make him as comfortable as we can for as long as possible

1 - 7 of 7 Posts