Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this whole week it has been 80 degrees + including high humidity levels. Yesterday I bought a thermometer for Little Foot's cage and I have been trying to keep it around 76-77, which I thought was good. However, for the past two days he hasnt pooped much and when he does their little and skinny. I bought squash baby food today and gave him about .3 ML of it and I have been trying to give him water because I don't think he is drinking ( I had to replace his water bottle Sunday, but since I have but a bowl in there because Ive heard those are better)

Then today I have noticed that he isn't eating like his normal self. I mean he is eating, but not like he usually does. He usually has his food and treat bowl cleaned out within the hour of feeding him. He has been sleeping a lot too, it seems like that is all he does even when I have him out of his cage. Please help me, I'm getting really worried. Should I take him to the vet?!

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I forgot to add that I have checked his belly numerous times and it is always warm; he doesn't appear to be cold or attempting hibernation.

·
Registered
5,914 Posts
Put the water bottle back in his cage and put the water bowl directly under the bottle to give him a choice of which one he likes better. He is probably hot you could try a fan just don't have it blowing directly on his cage or maybe open a window during the day. What kind of a cage do you use? Canned pumkin(if you can find it) works best for constipation.

·
Registered
651 Posts
agreed with Larry it sounds to me like he just might be too warm and this could be why he's less active. He may also be dehydrated from you removing the water bottle before he had a chance to figure out how to use the bowl.

Get some canned pumpkin (baking section of your grocery store - make sure it's unspiced) and mix it with the normal water you give your hedgehog, then syringe it into the side of your hedgehog's mouth.

You may want to syringe some pedialyte too to help with the dehyrdation.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Larry and Snufflepuff. I went yesterday to try and find some pumpkin, but the grocery worker told me that due to the floods in the south there isnt pumpkin available because the floods drown them. So I bought baby food squash and have been giving him that. This morning I found one regular size poop with okay color, but there were still small skinny ones. He also ate his food in the night. I have his water bottle in his cage with him still but I have yet to see him use it. Last night, before I went to sleep I syringe fed some water. Ive been keeping the temp between 76-78, do you think I should lower it? Maybe he prefers cool temperatures? like 73ish?

I'm also going to let him play in some water tonight to see if that helps him poop some.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts