Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an unrelated pair of egyptian long eared hedgehogs which are around about 3, ive had them for a year and they are very happy and well looked after, the female is desperate to be mated and constantly harrases the male but to no avail. He shows no interest.....
any suggestions ??????? i would love for them to mate as the market is shy off long eared and they are fantastic

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I don't know about long eared hedgehogs but 3 is too old for APH hedgehogs to mate.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think it's the same but I cannot find any reliable sound information, in truth I bought them to breed and am an avid reptile entheusiast who wanted to try something different , my son and I love them to bits so would never part with them , it's a shame it is the male denying the female as I'm certain despite age she would conceed.

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
It's not really a question of conceiving. The reason it'd be too old for APH hedgehogs to breed is that as the female gets older, the danger to her life gets greater. It's strongly recommended not to breed a female for the first time after she turns one year old. I have no experience with long eared hedgehogs, but I don't see how the reproduction could be that much different from APHs.

If the female is bugging the male, it might be safest for both to just separate them. She won't get pregnant by accident and possibly die during the birth, and she also won't hurt him if she gets too aggressive.

(No, I am not a breeder, but this all just sounds like a bad idea to me, based on what I've read about breeding on here and from the posts of breeders that are on here.)

·
Registered
275 Posts
Please do not take offence, but maybe it's a good thing your pair isn't breeding. It sounds like breeding is a very serious buiness, and I think you should reconsider your wish to breed. Every time a female is bred you very literally have her life, and the lives of her litter, in your hands. Give the idea a break for two months, and if you decide it's something you really want to do then god bless and find a great mentor to learn from.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I appreciate everybodys advice and I will not persue them to breed my wife, son and myself love them dearly, it is me that is to fault as I have been responsible for captive breeding hundreds of different reptiles to help evade the animals being wild caught or miss sold and just decided to realm into the wonders if the small mammals as am wildlife mad.
They are incredible and I would still like the opertunity to try a younger pair at a later date but not be misled into buying a potentail breeding pair which are well over aged, on another note please advise to how and when/ why u should bath them as it would appear that this is something I should be undertaking.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Hi there,
I have nothing to add except...Do you have any pix of the long ear egyptians that you can post? I can't technically speak for everyone but I'm pretty sure that the majority here (if not all) is in love with long-eared hedgies!!

Thank you!!
~Melissa

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I second Mel's suggestion, I love pics too and would love to see them if you have any :) About bathing Im not sure with Egyptian Long ears but with the APH's most just use oatmeal or aveeno in the water. You could start out with gentally pouring cups over them not getting it near their face or ears. Then if the hedgie ends up liking water you can add some more to the tub the next time. I can't say its the same for Long ears but thats the basics for APH's.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am waiting for sky to connect my Internet which would take forever and I keep trying to upload pics from my iPhone but am unable, you are more than welcome to look at my facebook which has pics on it and I will add a load more this weekend, thank you all for being so helpful and supportive .

·
Registered
5,914 Posts
seanalger said:
I am waiting for sky to connect my Internet which would take forever and I keep trying to upload pics from my iPhone but am unable, you are more than welcome to look at my facebook which has pics on it and I will add a load more this weekend, thank you all for being so helpful and supportive .
You have a link to your facebook account?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts