Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so about 4 months ago my roommate got a hedgehog (about 8 months old then), then due to a series of extenuating circumstances almost immediately after was not able to care for the hedgehog, which I've been taking care of (don't get mad at my roommate, it was beyond her control). In order to take care of the hedgehog I did a lot of research and have tried to do everything right. The thing I don't get is, why are people so crazy about hedgehogs? Why do you guys think they make such great pets? I'm not trying to be antagonizing here, so no mean responses please! It's just that I don't get it....

I've tried hard to bond w/ her but she doesn't really interact with me at all (and she never bonded to my roommate so that's not the issue). In fact, to her, I may just as well be a piece of furniture, it seems like. Even though I'm the one who primarily holds and cares for her, she doesn't react any differently to me then she does to anyone else, including people she's just met. But I think I've done everything right--I put a dirty old shirt in her cage, I take her out every night with the lights low and hold her for at least 30 minutes, giving her a blanket to explore in, I give her treats when I take her out to make positive associations with me, I let her run around the living room (being careful to cover the vents and set it up so she can't hurt herself). She's hardly ever balled up, although she does get kind of huffy and head-spikey when I try to pet her sometimes. Otherwise, she doesn't like being held and only occasionally just tolerates petting. Really, when I take her out she either tries to burrow, hide, and sleep in a blanket on the couch or sometimes she's active, but mostly it's the sleeping thing. In fact, that's almost all she ever does, is sleep.

Also, she bites! Not usually hard, usually just nips and that's not a big deal because it doesn't really hurt, but a few times she's bitten me and other people really hard. For undiscernible reasons. Most times it's happened I hadn't even been doing anything or even actively touching her, she'd just been walking behind me or did it out of the blue.

And don't even get me started on the poop! How does such a little creature create so much poop??? I don't get it. I've tried so hard to litter train her, using all the different tips I read, but nothing works. She just poops EVERYWHERE. And she's not a baby. When I let her run in the living room, she poops a different place every night. I'll try to put her litter box in an area she goes and then she'll poop beside it (I think she's only gone in it once or twice EVER). And of course, there's the wheel thing. She always smells like poop and pee because of pooping/peeing/running through it, but then I'm not supposed to bathe her too much, so I just have to deal with the fact that she smells like poop and pee.

I mean, she sure is cute (and photogenic!) but besides that I don't see much of a point! She may as well be a really complicated, expensive decoration, considering how little she seems like an actual pet. And she's not even that interesting to watch, as all she really does is sleep, eat, run and poop (but mostly just sleep). Nothing out of the ordinary there, any pet will do at least that. She really doesn't seem to have much of a personality at all.

I've read all over this forum about how lovable hedgehogs are and how they make such great pets, so honestly, I really expected something different, because I don't think that's true at all. I would,at this point, definitely recommend against getting a hedgehog if anyone asked. So why do you guys love hedgehogs so much when they take so much work and effort (we have to keep the heat up, which is not saving us any money, we have to make sure the lighting is always right, we have to buy her a variety of food, the whole living room always smells like poop/pee, she bites us and our friends, etc.) when they don't seem to interact with you at all? (And I'm always reading posts on here about people who have really bally, shy/grumpy hedgehogs that they never get to interact with, and they still love them and think they're great! How is that possible? How can you continually feed, pay for, and care for, clean up and get bitten by something that at the least doesn't care about you/is unaware of you or at the most, hates you and is terrified of you?) Are you just really selfless? Am I just not a hedgehog person? Is my roommate's hedgehog just more aloof and less interesting than other hedgehogs? Is there something I'm missing? Am I doing something wrong?

Please, I don't need any mean or angry responses, I'm seriously asking this...I am going to continue caring for the hedgehog until my roommate can, and I'll continue trying to do everything I'm supposed to so don't worry about that. I just want to know what I'm missing...

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
In all honesty, it's all personal preference. Kind of like how some people are cat people, and some are dog people. It's the same with hedgehogs. You love them, or you tolerate them.

It sounds like you're more the kind of person who love pets who actively seek affection. Hedgehogs don't always seek affection, some never will. Just as some will never learn to use a litter pan.

I am glad that you are taking care of the hedgehog how she should be, and that you will continue to do so. Because you did not exactly chose the hedgehog, the situation sort of happened, there's a slight difference. There are people who have wanted a hedgehog forever, and think that they are the right pet, but once they have hands on experience, they realize differently. That's just how things are sometimes, and it's hard to actually explain all that we see in them, as we can find their grumpy little faces peeking out and hissing at you for disturbing their sleep completely adorable :lol:

·
Registered
414 Posts
Most people who become hedgie lovers tend to feel a connection to their hedgies and appreciate the amount of trust it takes for them to interact with and spend time with us. I actually regard my little guy as my kid and spoil him thoroughly as such. It just depends on the person, I guess. I don't see a point to hamsters, but that's because I don't want to interact with them and don't feel the need to. When it comes to hedgies, I love how they grow to trust you and don't ball up once they recognize you, and how they'll be comfortable enough to just plop down and sleep on you. There can be plenty of interaction time, just like for other pets; you can set up a play area and spend time watching them run around with tp tubes or craft foam tubes on their heads, etc. A hedgie is as much of a pet as you want to make it, depending on how much time you want to put into it. They all have personality, you just have to help them to see what that is. Some like playing with toy cars/small dump trucks, some like rolling balls around, some love the tubes, etc.

When it comes to the potty thing, some hedgies will never learn. Some like going in the dark though, and will often go behind a wheel or under something. So if you sit the litter pan under a cover of some sort, she might start going in there.

The biting could be because you smell good. Quentin loves to attack my armpit if I'm lying down and he can get near it. If you wear perfumes or use scented body wash/soap, that could be why there's nipping.

There are definitely people who love hedgehogs and people who don't, just as it is with any animal. To fully appreciate them, you have to get past the fact that you do so much for them and just start enjoying their company. Some hedgehogs are snugglers, some are explorers, etc. You may come to appreciate the different little things she does, or you may not. But yeah, you may be more of a parakeet person or something like that and hedgehogs may not be for you. Either way, thank you for giving the little girl the care she needs even though you're not totally sold on hedgehogs yet. I think if you give it a chance you might come to appreciate the amount of hidden personality they actually do have.

·
Registered
273 Posts
u willl instant love a hedgie and bond quicker, if u kno wat to do from the start, but u are doin ur best, :D , and everyone here at HHC, is very understanding, and helpful, so any problems, just feel free to ask!!!

as for the smelly hedgie,u are right, u shouldnt bathe her alot, but for the "poop boots" just give he a foot bath, lay down some fleece, in the sink, and put like1/4 of an inch of water in, and it will losen it, and then let her walk on a moist paper towel, to get it all off!!!! and yea u will need to clean the wheel alot, like every mornin, but its all for the safety and health of our hedgies!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts