Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
I just went thru the same thing. My little one scratched her ear, but I couldnt find the area till we took her to the vet. she has dry skin and besides oatmeal/flaxoil baths now we are going to try sunshine factor..
Its a frightening when it happens , glad to hear your little one is ok as well!!

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So far so good! At first I thought it might be an ear infection but there was no head tilt and she wouldl let me look at her ear (well until she decided she couldn't stand still anymore lol) so I'm pretty sure she's not in any pain. She's still acting completely normal and there has been no new blood. Sadly it still worries me even though she's fine (paranoid hedgie mom)lol. I found a pet store near my house that sells bag balm so I'm going to go pick some up.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Not all ear infections cause head tilts. Often the only indication is blood around the ear from hedgie scratching at the ear.

I'd keep a close watch as I know you are and if she does any scratching at the ear, I'd have it checked out. :)

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Ear infections sometimes just happen the same was as they do with us. Some hedgehogs are prone to them if they get water in an ear during a bath. Scratching a random itch inside the ear with a poopy foot can do it. It's nothing you did.

Sometimes there really are no symptoms until the infection gets quite severe but here are some.
Decrease in food intake because it hurts to chew.
Circling as in running or walking in circles.
Scratching at the ear or head shaking.
Loss of balance.
Decreased wheeling because of balance issues.
Increased wheeling because of the pain from the ear.

I'm sure there are more but I'm drawing a blank. :lol:

Watch her for a few weeks. :)

·
Administrator
3,831 Posts
Here is what we have seen so far with Cooper's chronic inner ear infection.

Started out with decreased wheeling. Then I noticed him stumble occasionally, not often but I was watching to find something wrong with him due to the decrease in wheeling. Later he started to fall over, because he would fall over he wouldn't eat as much, etc.... longer list to follow:

Decreased activity, stumbling, falling over/wobbliness, head tilt, walking in circles, inability to stand without falling over, pawing/scratching at ear, twitching of ear, cringing of facial muscles, shaking of head, drainage from ear (white pus), fluid in ear canal, bleeding from ear, going off of his food, hearing loss etc.

There are a lot of symptoms. Many of which you only see once there is pressure built up behind the ear drum, which means the situation is severe.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys! well she has none of those symptoms so fa,r but I'm taking her to the vet today at 4:00. This is my first vet visit and do any of you have any advice. I'm not sure what to bring her in. I don't have a pet carrier and I have to walk there (15 mins walk). What should i bring? I have a log book that keeps track of her weight and wheeling distance, should I bring that? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Honestly I don't know what I would do without this forum lol.

·
Administrator
3,831 Posts
I bring my health chart with me, mostly just so I can report on weight. I also bring mealies.

Do you have a snuggle bag to carry her in? It will give her a safe place to hide while there too. Take a spare bag and a couple of blankets with you. I like using my own blankets so that they don't have to stand on the cold metal exam table, or on someone else's towel. I also bring spares in case we have a pee or poo that gets nasty. Which nasty poos can happen at vets. The strange smells, and sounds can be scary and can cause a green or loose stool to be passed.

·
Administrator
3,831 Posts
Charges can add up quickly. But typically I expect a bill to be around $100 for a real "basic" sick hedgehog visit. If anesthesia, or other procedures are required, they can quickly add up.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I just got back from the vet. The scratch below her ear was caused by her scratching because of an ear infection. She has to have ear drops 2 times a day for 7 days. Also, the vet gave her a dose of revolution for precautions. He commented on how well behaved she was so that made me happy! The vet that I went to was from the list of vets from this site and he was awsome! Now I just have to figure out how I'm going to get her to stop squirming when I put the drops in lol.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.