Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have only had my hedgehog for about a month and he has been doing great until this past week. Two nights in a row we noticed he had not been on his wheel, and then noticed he was dragging both of his hind legs. Took him to the vet- she x-rayed to check for any injuries/broken bones, and nothing showed up. She did notice that when he was there he urinated on a white towel and it was pink, so she put him on an antibiotic, pain medicine, and an anti-inflammatory. He will not eat and still cannot walk at all on either of his back legs. She gave us food to mix and feed through a syringe. We are trying this but we have to force him to eat- all he wants to do is sleep. When we do get him awake, he is very alert and tries to crawl with his front legs. I am at a loss- I've been reading a lot about WHS, and know that it can't be confirmed except upon death. I wonder if anyone else had something similar to this happen. it's hard to see him struggle to move and also to believe that he went from perfectly normal to paralyzed in hind legs within a matter of 2 days. I am just trying to figure out how to help him and if there is anything else I can do to help him. Thanks for any input!

·
Premium Member
8,486 Posts
That isn't WHS. WHS is a slow progressing disease and usually starts with a mild foot drop and then very slowly gets worse. To me it sounds more like a pinched nerve or some other type of injury. Are his back legs cold or are they the same temperature as the front ones?

·
Registered
1 Posts
WHS progressed quickly

I have only had my hedgehog for about a month and he has been doing great until this past week. Two nights in a row we noticed he had not been on his wheel, and then noticed he was dragging both of his hind legs. Took him to the vet- she x-rayed to check for any injuries/broken bones, and nothing showed up. She did notice that when he was there he urinated on a white towel and it was pink, so she put him on an antibiotic, pain medicine, and an anti-inflammatory. He will not eat and still cannot walk at all on either of his back legs. She gave us food to mix and feed through a syringe. We are trying this but we have to force him to eat- all he wants to do is sleep. When we do get him awake, he is very alert and tries to crawl with his front legs. I am at a loss- I've been reading a lot about WHS, and know that it can't be confirmed except upon death. I wonder if anyone else had something similar to this happen. it's hard to see him struggle to move and also to believe that he went from perfectly normal to paralyzed in hind legs within a matter of 2 days. I am just trying to figure out how to help him and if there is anything else I can do to help him. Thanks for any input!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WHS progressed in our hedgie Luci super quickly too. Most likely the anti-inflammatory and pain meds are making your little guy sleepy. We also went through the same.
We are currently feeding her high quality wet cat food by baby spoon and syringing water into her month to keep her well. We found that keeping puppy pee pads in her cage helps keep her clean. You'll need to bathe their bottom daily and/or use hypo allergenic baby wipes to clean their "private parts" and back legs, etc. My daughter has her on instagram as luci_the_hedgehog if you want to follow her progress. We wrap her in fleece like a baby to keep her warm and she mostly travels around in a basket at this point since she cannot move much. Good Luck! It is a lot of work but our hedgie clearly still has her personality and shows her love for us. We have discussed doing the right thing in the end but she is currently not in any pain (nor on any pain meds).

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WHS progressed in our hedgie Luci super quickly too. Most likely the anti-inflammatory and pain meds are making your little guy sleepy. We also went through the same.
We are currently feeding her high quality wet cat food by baby spoon and syringing water into her month to keep her well. We found that keeping puppy pee pads in her cage helps keep her clean. You'll need to bathe their bottom daily and/or use hypo allergenic baby wipes to clean their "private parts" and back legs, etc. My daughter has her on instagram as luci_the_hedgehog if you want to follow her progress. We wrap her in fleece like a baby to keep her warm and she mostly travels around in a basket at this point since she cannot move much. Good Luck! It is a lot of work but our hedgie clearly still has her personality and shows her love for us. We have discussed doing the right thing in the end but she is currently not in any pain (nor on any pain meds).
You can't say your hedgehog has WHS until it has passed away and a necropsy has confirmed the disease.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts