Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a lil hog, Coconut, and he is 5 years old now.
I remember seeing him in his litter as lil tiny hogs, not even with their eyes open yet, and he crawled up into my hand. Couple months or so later and I was able to bring him home! I was bonded since the very beginning.

He is such a sweet lil man, my vet and their team absolutely love Coconut because he never huffs or hides, he loves crawling all over people and is the friendliest lil hog around.

He got a mass in his mouth when he turned 2, my vet had to perform surgery to get the mass out, along with half of his teeth; which were barely holding on. After extensive care, he was better for about 6 months and it happened again, goodbye all of his teeth this time. He now eats completely ground up food and lived a very long healthy hedgie life since. At least, until now. ):

The mass is back, and I no longer have any other options. My vet gave him a shot of long lasting antibiotics and I give him anti-inflammatories twice daily. He's dropped from 12grams to 9grams, won't eat on his own at the moment, and I believe he's on the last moments. I am given 10 days to see if the antibiotics relieve him at all, if not, my option is to bundle him up in his favourite blankie, kiss him one last time on his lil hedgie forehead, tell him I love him and say goodnight to him.

I am not coping well. What can I do? What's the best option. ): I'm so afraid I could have done something more, something better, I don't want him to suffer he is the light of my life. I've been through it all with my little hoglet. How do I say goodbye. My heart is breaking.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
I'm sorry you and your hedgie have to go through this. It sounds like you've done everything you could. I personally wouldn't wait as long as 10 days because from the sound of it the meds aren't going to make him better but are just extending his life for a little longer, while he can't even eat on his own and there's not gonna be a positive outcome - imo it's better to let them go a minute too soon than a minute too late. That might give you some comfort, knowing he doesn't have to suffer anymore. It will always be a very difficult choice.
Good luck with the decision & hugs to you!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Our first hedgie also had mouth cancer. We did some initial treatment seeing if it was just a tooth abscess or not and then determined it was cancer. We took her back home, got her some softer foods and since she was still wheeling and seemed to be doing okay, we didn't put her down right away.

If I remember correctly we took her in as soon as we realized she had a night where she wasn't running in her wheel.

You might want to consider something like this as a memorial

Our vet offered this to us when we had to put our first hedgehog down, and I wouldn't have thought of it otherwise.

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
I think the mass keeps coming back because the vet isn't getting the mass out completely. Maybe a different vet could do a better job and make sure the mass never comes back again

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm sorry for replying late, I've been grieving really badly. Coconut had cancer and passed away while I was kissing him, I chose to get him euthanized and he passed away very comfortably in my arms with forehead kissies... Thank you all so much for your support. I'm feeling... lost without him. He was my service companion and brought me so much happiness and I just love him so much and wish he was back... With National Hedgehog Day coming tomorrow I'm feeling extra depressed. I love you Coconut... You were such a good little hog...

I set up a shrine for him and am awaiting his ashes to come back to me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
there's a really awesome way to turn his ashes into a memorial. there is a company called artful ashes that make beautiful glass memorials.
That's so perfect, I'm also living in the Seattle area I think I will contact them when I get Coconut's ashes back... Thank you so much this is really sweet.

Happy Hedgehog Day by the way, here's a little reminiscing memory of Coconut <3

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts