Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I bought a hoglet two days ago (on monday) and the breeder said that he was able to eat properly and that he was ready to come to my house but he hasn't been eating for 2 days now and I'm getting really worried!

I bought royal canin recovery can today and I fed him by hand about 0,5mL.

What should I do?

Please can you give me some advice?

Thank you so much and sorry for my bad english

·
Premium Member
8,486 Posts
Is he only 4 weeks old? Babies shouldn't be weaned until they are 5 weeks old. Are you giving him the same food the breeder was feeding him? If not then get some of the same food and see if he'll eat that.

If he still doesn't eat then you will need to syringe feed him. Try to get about 12-15 mls of food into him a day and make sure he's drinking water as well. Leave some food in his bed with him to see if he'll eat some on his own.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, he was born on 21th of December...

I know wich food the breeder used, should i crush the food to be easier for him?

And I should syringe feed him with what?

Thank you so much

·
Premium Member
8,486 Posts
I would crush the food for now to make it easier for him to eat it. You can try some dry and crushed in a dish and another dish with crushed and slightly softened in another dish.

For syringe feeding you can use the Royal Canin Recovery canned food. If it's to thick to go through the syringe then you can thin it down with water. If you check out this thread it will give you some good tips on syringe feeding.

http://www.hedgehogcentral.com/foru...yringing-tutorial-syringe-feeding-sticky.html

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I left food on a plate, royal canin recovery and I noticed that he eat it during the night. Should I syringe feed him or should I left him alone?

Now I left Royal Canin Recovery with crushed food on top to see what happens.

Thank you so much nikki!

·
Premium Member
8,486 Posts
Keep track of how much he's eating and if it seems like he's eating a tablespoon or more of food then I wouldn't syringe feed him. Get a small digital kitchen scale and start weighing him every day at the same time and as long as he's gaining weight then he'll be ok.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey nikki,

He eat some food but he loss weight (from 119g to 112g). I'm gonna start to syringe feed him again. Is it possible that he isn't eating because he dind't get used to the new home yet?

·
Premium Member
8,486 Posts
It is possible but syringe feeding him is still the right choice. Try getting some Royal Canin Baby Cat dry food and leave some pieces in his bed at all times. It's a small size and is softer than most cat foods it's also high in fat so it might encourage him to eat more on his own.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello Nikki, his weight was stable at 106g and than I stop feed him for a day to see if he was eating by himself and it dropped to 102g. I put some of the food that I used to syringe feed him in the dish and I saw him eat a little bit. What should I do? Should I syringe feed him indefinitely? I’ve been putting on the dish royal canin for baby cat, the food that the breeder used crushed, i’ve Tried grapes, broccoli…

·
Premium Member
8,486 Posts
First off grapes are not good to feed, they can cause kidney failure in some animals.

I would keep syringe feeding him but cut back a little, lengthen the time between feedings and make sure to leave kibble and soft food in his cage for him.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, I’m going to do that. Also, do you know what weight a 6 weeks old hoglet should have?

Thank you so much for your help Nikki, I really appreciated all your help

1 - 11 of 11 Posts