Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will try and make this simple, but I tend to babble...
So I made a playpen for my babies out of the cubing for a C&C cage.
Kiwi (a little over a year old) has never escaped, she's poked her head through the holes many times and attempted to lift it, but has never gotten out, or actually escaped.
Avocado (almost 2 months) fits perfectly through the holes and knows it! if we block the holes, she climbs... She is my little escape artist.
I'm not certain what to do. I want my girls to have plenty of room to run and play, but it's hard to play with them when Avy continues trying to escape (which, I know is her way of being goofy) But then Kiwi doesn't get the time she deserves. And IF I get them out at separate times they get grouchy and jealous.

I have some nylon screening, that i was attempting to hot glue around each cube piece, but I'm not certain how well it will work, or if it will work... Does anyone have any suggestions?
Running in there cages isn't enough exploring for them, and the playpen I made is huge for them, but if they escape I don't know what I would do!

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have wheels for both of them, Avy's wheel is not in her cage yet, because I couldn't fit it in. I'm still in the process of moving things around.
The C&C cage that I built her, she ended up escaping, so I moved her to a smaller (but still big) cage... its a beginner guinea pig cage, but she is spoiled and has a lot of stuff :lol: so nothing fits properly.
Kiwi does fine in her C&C cage, with no top. She has a wheel, and also a lot more room though (her cage is a 2x3 of the cubing) but she gets grouchy when I have Avy in the playpen and not her too..

·
Registered
10 Posts
I got Dumbo a small dog playpen off ebay for $28 it has a full bottom that is nylon so it is easy to wash and it has a mesh top so that when Dumbo is on the floor my Ms. Elphaba (the cat) does not jump in to play with him. Works great folds up when we are not using it and it will be awesome this summer to let him play outside with w/o worrying too much about him getting outside bugs.

·
Premium Member
8,486 Posts
Part of the problem could be that Avy doesn't have a wheel so she has to much energy. Getting a wheel into her cage is more important than letting her play in the playpen. I would worry about that first and then once the wheel is in the cage you can attach coroplast the full height of the cubes to stop her from climbing.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Just to toss in my 2 cents, Kiwi's cage really needs a top. I know she hasn't shown herself to be the escaping type, but it only takes one time of her deciding to go for a stroll by herself for something to happen. Best case scenario you have a mild heart attack while playing find the hedgie and locate her before any real problems happen. Worst case scenario you don't find her, or you don't find her before the lack of proper heat and no food or water causes her to become sick.

Lids for C&C's are actually super easy. Wire shelves meant to attach to the wall in a closet make great lids. You can get them at home depot pretty reasonably. The other benefit is that you could do the same for Avy's C&C and move her back into it so she can have the additional space.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts