Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm a new hedgehog mommy and I'm a little shocked by how serious hibernation is and how easily they can do it! Her cage is warm; I use a heat lamp and keep it between 72-80 degrees, but I worry about when I take her out to play. I naturally like cool temperatures, so I never turn on the heat (the room stays about 68-70 degrees these days in winter). Actually, above 72 is too hot for me!
I've been turning on the heat when I'm going to play with her (ie, in a bigger pen on the floor), but this is really jacking up the bill! I can afford it, but of course I would rather not. Also, I have floor heating (this is what is used in Korea, which is where I'm located), and it takes a while to heat up. If I take her out before the room temp has reached 72-80 degrees, will she attempt to hibernate? Or is it absolutely crucial that I wait until it has warmed up first? It all seems so delicate! I'm always stressing if it is too cold!

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Are space heaters an option? You could try using a small one to warm the play area before/during play time & that might be cheaper than turning up heating for your whole place.

Hibernation is mostly a risk with longer term cool temperatures rather than exposure for a short time during play time - the main concern with shorter term cool temperatures is possible respiratory infections.

Another option is making sure you have a rug or blanket down on the floor, if it's a hard floor that tends to be cooler. If she's running around & the temperature is around 70F, she should stay fine unless she's particularly sensitive.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, space heaters are an option but don’t hedgehogs have issues with dry skin? I worry that would really cause her skin to get dry.
And I didn’t know that it is mostly long term which can cause issues! I thought that if she was in air below 72 for even a minute there was a possibility of hibernation. I guess I can relax a little, but still be wary of her getting sick.
Thanks for the advice/help!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts