Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wondering and not that i dont want to hangout with him every night or anything its just well some nights i wont here is it ok to just let him be for a night.

·
Registered
594 Posts
He should be fine if u don't get to spend time with him for a day here and there.
Just make sure he has food and water and check on him (make sure theres no strings or anything). If your not home those days maybe someone else can check and make sure he has food and water.

I don't spend much time with mine on Saturdays, because I'm always out of town visiting family on those days, and mine seem to handle it really well.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Well if you're leaving him alone for a while i'd definately recommend trying to spend time with him at least once a day to just check him over, make sure he's ok, and just to give him some love. If you can do that he will be ok. The less you handle him the harder it'll be to bond and become closer. If you're away for more than a day you definately need to get someone to look after him, i.e make sure he has water and food and is ok in general.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
most definitely i have a roommate that i know will do that for me if the need arrised. its just i work at a bar and once or twice a week we tend to migrate after our close to a later bar and get drunk. so i wont be there till really late. i just wanted to make sure he d be alright with it. and on the hedgehog friendlyness note, i feed him a worm last night and he took it although he did think my finger was a bigger one and bite me first but i just blew air in his face and he got the general point. he was very egar to eat the worm im glad i didnt waste money on them. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
274 Posts
haha, oh yes Turbo LOVES mealworms. He annoints himself over them, and scoffs them down :p

And yes thats fine, all of us work different times, days etc so your hedgie will get used to your routine. Like i say as long as he gets attention every day from someone :D

He sounds like hes becoming your friend hehe. God bless those mealworms!

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Missing a day or two of bonding time won't turn your hedgie back into a shy, non-social ball of spikes. There have been days where I was either sick, or just too tired to take my boy out for bonding time. So all I do is I give him his food and water. Then take him out and check him over. Then let him go eat.

When I was sick, I didn't really handle him for 2 weeks cause I didn't want to pass it to him, so I kept the handling minimal. He handled it just fine, and his temperament didn't change.

While I wouldn't suggest leaving them alone for weeks on end for no reason, a few days here and there when you get home late is fine. Just make sure you have a light(ie...desk lamp) on a timer, as the days are getting shorter, and they need at least 12hrs of light to keep them from hibernating. And make sure he has fresh food and water before you go to work(or have your roommate feed and water before your hedgie wakes up/lights turn off).

·
Registered
902 Posts
When I was sick, I didn't really handle him for 2 weeks cause I didn't want to pass it to him, so I kept the handling minimal. He handled it just fine, and his temperament didn't change.
They can catch things from us?? I better read up on this, I didn't realize that.

I had to be away from mine for four days, I hated that. Riley didn't change but I felt like Whyte had reverted back a bit. Could have been my own guilt though, he may have just been his usual grumpy self. ha!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts