Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my hedgehog, Polly, in a plastic bin-type cage. She's been in it for about 2 months now, but recently she's been escaping in the middle of the night. I have no idea how. There's nothing she can really climb on to get to the top and the cage is solid. We've even checked it over for possible holes and there's nothing. Is there anyway to stop this? Is she just bored or maybe need a bigger cage? I'm just afraid of her getting stepped on in the middle of the nightor even falling down the stairs, if she gets out of the room?

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Does she have a wheel? Do you have the space to add a second bin and connect them? Maybe she'd like some more room. And if you don't (which I'm guessing not), you need a lid on the bin to keep her in. Hedgehogs are great escape artists, as she's showing you!

·
Registered
353 Posts
There must be something she can escape from. Don't underestimate their escaping abilities at all. They can probably stretch onto anything and climb out. Even if you have an extra trail house like I do to try and prevent escape habits, they could still get on their. I was clueless until I saw Phoebe stretch like a slinky onto the house. Luckily, I do have lids, so I was never worried.

But like Lilysmommy said, does she have a wheel? Since we're waiting for our bucket wheels and our other wheels are broken, I have to constantly entertain Adella for as long as I can because she gets too bored in her cage without one. She'll try escaping, even though I have multiple bins connected to add room.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
All cages must have a secure lid. Hedgehogs are houdini's when they want to be.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts