Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I've been having difficultly getting permission to use people's pictures for a hedgie care book I'm writing. I decided that I'd just post here and ask if anyone wanted to contribute. :lol:

The book is called Pet African Hedgehogs- A Basic Guide to Care, written by myself. It won't be published or widely distributed (just a few copies printed for local hedgie owners, and perhaps some others who are interested), and I don't plan on making any money off of it.

What I would like, is for people with pictures I may be able to use to post here, and I will PM you my email address. When you email me, please attach the picture(s) and a name to credit. Keep in mind that I may not be able to use all the pictures.

*Whew* Okay, picture requirements: I'd prefer them to be uncropped, clear, and as large a size as possible. I will resize and crop as needed.

Some pictures I could use would be ones of... comfort wheels, silent spinners, wodent wheels, whisper wheels (if anyone has one of those, they're made my Hedgehogs By Vickie), a good first aid kit, very overweight hedgies, annointing hedgies, etc...

Haha, so it's an interesting list. I'll post here if I think of anything else specific I may need. Thanks so much for any help!

Kimberly & Inky

·
Registered
508 Posts
i have a good picture of lulu annoting around here somewhere. ill have to look around and see if i can find it :)

·
Registered
106 Posts
well I have a silent spinner so could try and get a decent pic for you - but do they need to be running or can they be sitting on it looking out from it? any colour preferences? My hedgies dont seem to annoint much so no help there but other than annointing and running piccies do you want any others? any excuse to take piccies of my hedgies :lol: and I dont mind if you use them or not - I have a 'special' hog and got one hog that likes to curl and look up at you on your hand so have got plenty of piccies of that LOL!!!!!

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
I have some of Bella and Ralph on their Comfort wheels, a kazillion of annointing hedgies of all ages as well as overweight hedgies.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you guys! I'll get in touch with each of you.

What about the Cake Walk Supreme
I own one, so I have plenty of pictures of it already. :)

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have a Flying Saucer wheel and home made toys that people can use if any of it could be useful.

Just an idea, what if you give the hedgie care books to local pet stores? Although most don't support having hedgies from pet stores I think that maybe the book could be a useful guide. If the pet stores insist on stocking hedgies they should have good resources right there to help them care for them properly.
Again this is just something I've been thinking about lately....

EDIT: I also have a play pen that is UNSUITABLE for hedgies. After my hedgie got bigger he was able to climb out. The pics of it may help people when choosing appropriate pens?

·
Registered
5,914 Posts
LizardGirl said:
Thank you guys! I'll get in touch with each of you.

What about the Cake Walk Supreme
I own one, so I have plenty of pictures of it already. :)
Dang I have 4 CWS :lol: also have 1 CW and 1 FS..Will try to get a pic of those. :D

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
It'll be a couple of days before I can get them to you, but I have a picture of Lily annointing, and a picture of a poopy CWS, if you want to use either. Drpepperheather told me she appreciated the poopy wheel picture, since it shows what the wheel looks like when it's been used. :lol: Poopy wheel pictures would definitely help show new owners what to expect to see most mornings.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just an idea, what if you give the hedgie care books to local pet stores? Although most don't support having hedgies from pet stores I think that maybe the book could be a useful guide. If the pet stores insist on stocking hedgies they should have good resources right there to help them care for them properly.
Again this is just something I've been thinking about lately....
That is a good idea, I can definitely see that being a help (except the main store I'm concerned about just doesn't care, the teenage boy who breeds them has no idea about them, even basic care :cry: ) Once I find how much it's going to cost (for a color book around 50-60 pages) that will definitely be an option.

Ahava, LarryT, and Lilysmommy, I'll PM each of you. After that I should be set on wheel and annointing pictures. I'll go through the articles and see what else I can use. :)

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow, thanks everyone! I feel so spoiled! :lol:

If anyone has a picture of a really good first aid kit, let me know.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you! I'll be sure to let you know if there's anything in particular I'm in need of.

For an update, it's coming along quite well, just taking longer than I thought. :lol: Just to warn you guys, I'm not a fantastic writer, so there might be little errors and places that leave you wondering whether I was asleep or not... :roll:

The main problem I'm having is finding out how I'm going to print it. To self publish, to not self publish, to print out at a copy store, I dunno. I really would like it to be in color, and that's what's killing me. I guess we'll see.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Some places will print and bind it for you and do a bulk price. Ask around at copy stores to find one that does it. If the person you talk to won't give you a bulk price ask to talk to the manager and try to make a deal. Most places will do it especially if you print their logo on the back of the book.

Also if you do it in colour I would recommend test printing one page first so you know the colour of the printer is right.

EDIT: I forgot I also have pictures if you need anymore.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a hedgie emergency kit I bought when I got Neeko. I can take it all apart and post pics if you want. I got it from Dani at LOL Hedgies. She worked for ages with her vet to put it all together.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thank you for the offer, but I've already got that covered. I have most of the book done now, I'm just down to a few articles and figuring out printing. :)

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'll help out in what ever way I can Lizardgirl, my email address is below, on my signature. I currently have my own home made bucket wheel, and Sonic loves it, the first night he had it in he ran on it almost all night (from 9:30pm to 5:45am) I locked the wheel after that, then found him asleep on the wheel after work. I myself am an author, and publishing is no easy task...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts