Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey

I've had my hog (Quigley) for a month now

I got him from a pet store who had him for over 2 years and couldn't sell him so I know he's an adult over two years but other than nothing.

They gave me some food which I only know is a crappy cat food but don't know what and it's all he will eat.

I have tried ...

Pretty pets hedgehog food
Orijen Cat food
Wellness canned kitten formula (because I thought maybe the pellets were too hard)

I am counting out the kibble and he will only eat about 20 pieces a night (from what I have read this seems low to me). He has eaten as much as 45 and as little as three. To introduce the food I gradually mixed it in with the food he came with. He will try a few bites and not eat it anymore or only eat one or two pieces a night. Once I tried leaving in the hedgehog food by itself and he only ate three pieces. Because he is eating it I know he knows it is food. The wet food he'll lick off my finger but not eat out of the bowl.

He loves meal worms (I got them canned because I read it was softer than live or freeze dried and I am worried about his teeth) He will eat four meal worms a night plus about 15 kibbles if we let him but I think that is too many worms so I've narrowed it one or two a night (only nightly because he's not really eating his kibble and I think he should be eating something).

I've tried soaking the food in water to make it softer and, I've tried not giving him any mealies to see if it made him hungrier. I've tried giving him less of the crappy cat food so he would still be hungry and eat the other stuff. He just doesn't seem interested in food that is good for him. He won't try any fruit, he tried scrambled eggs and wasn't interested, he won't try cottage cheese.

I'm very frustrated and don't know how to get him to eat. He is currently ignoring wellness healthy weight for cats (the kibble not the canned stuff).

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey
Thanks for the support. I'm just worried that if I don't get him eating something healthier soon he will run out of the stuff he came with (the only food he is eating right now) and then not want to eat anything. Like I said I have no idea what he is eating and no body at the pet store seemed to know (I'm not shopping there anymore they are clearly incompetent if they can't even tell me what he was eating for two years).

But you have given me a glimmer of hope. I'm going to be persistent and continue to try everything I can think of.

Thanks again

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.