Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I kknow how you all feel about pet stores but what about if i get a hedgie from a pet store so when it dies it dies a haappy warm coomfty ending of its life instead of in a pet store that is not good. i mean i saw a hedgie at a storre and it was under a food bowl sad and lonely........ i knoe they are going to get more but just for now. I cant wait aanymore.... the thing i understand tho is that i am going to be saving more then i need to for gails hedgies but i just reallly want one. i AM TEXTING MY MOM ABOUT IT NOW... ut yup... i need your thoughts. i already know the pros and cons.... just tell me whsst you think.......

·
Registered
902 Posts
Report them, don't support them.

That's my stance. Thanks for asking! :D

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
If you buy the pet store hedgie, they will just get another one in. Sad as it is when it comes to living creatures but supply equals demand. Another problem with buying one from a pet store is there is a higher chance that it will be sick and need to see a vet in the first couple of weeks of ownership. Can you afford the hedgehog plus a vet?

There is an old saying, "patience has it's own rewards". I know you are anxious but when the time is right, you will find the perfect hedgehog. :)

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
tali_luvs_hedgies said:
thank you.. right now i am adding up everything..so should i get both a hard and soft carrier? or ust a hard or just a soft?

* edit ....

Is this carrier okay?
http://www.petco.com/product/104218/Mar ... C_Carriers
I would get a hard carrier for now. Perhaps later when you have spare money for spoiling your new baby, you could get a soft carrier for taking them around a store, etc. but soft carriers won't give much protection in a car crash. Best to have a hard carrier to be safe.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I used to be a manager at Petco and those carriers are actually not worth the money anyway. They are expensive and people returned them often because the zippers never worked the right way. I transport my hedgehogs in the smallest cat carrier they have, its hard. It is really tiny and they cannot get out. You can still see in really easily. It is also nice when they are being stubborn because they whole top comes off easily. A lot easier to get them out when they are balled up at the vet!

It looks like this but its not blue. I got it when I had a kitten shipped to me, but I think you can get them readily at walmart.

http://www.amazon.com/Small-Blue-Kennel ... =8-3-spell

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
The carrier that kyararahl posted is a good one and usually reasonably priced. It is also airline approved which IMO if you are going to get a hard sided cat carrier, might as well get one that is airline approved and then you have all the bases covered.

If you can find one that also has a door on top, I find them to be the most convenient. Petsmart used to sell an awesome double door one but the stores here don't seem to carry them anymore. I notice Zellers now sells the same one so if you are in Canada. I'll post the name of it later as I'm heading out the door in a few minutes. :)

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
I have always used and definitely recommend using the Petmate Double Door Deluxe carriers or any one that has the door on the top as well as the front. There are also carriers that have doors on the top only. Using the top door makes things SO much easier, especially if you are transporting a less than cooperative animal. :lol:

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Here's the one I like the best.

http://www.uspetproducts.net/19__PET_SU ... 59856.html

One thing I really like about it is the top will open from either side or the top can be completely removed. It's made by NOZTONOZ and was around $35 at Petsmart in Canada when I got it. I don't remember how much it was a Zellers.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Let's be optimistic and try good first. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
maybe..... i might o talk to my mom about the easter bunny. maybe he will help me..... santa got my brother his exotic pets.... but i just want the bunny to help. we wont have easter for awhile because she is in texas........... so MAYBE
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Thats great news that you might be able to get your hedgie before you thought and the extra time until then will let you read more and start the gathering process. The gathering process was fun for me cause I got to take my time picking things and shopping around for everything I wanted :)

·
Registered
902 Posts
Please don't tell me the bad news is that you're getting it from a pet store. :roll:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts