Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I realize that this is highly irresponsible of me-- I should just take my hedgie to the vet. I'm short on the cash right now, however, and waiting on the cash to come within the next week or so

My hedgehog, Rosie, is roughly 7 months old, and has been happy as a clam. It's only recently that she's developed a cut on her forehead, and it has refused to heal over. It's the size of an apple seed, red, and scabbed over. It was getting better for a while, but just today I checked it out and the skin around it has become red and puffy. I've also started to notice some crust on her eyes. She's been acting fine-- not huffy, not antisocial, nor curling into a ball, not acting as though she's in pain in the slightest.

Has this happened to anyone else? Can someone help me, please? I'm so worried.
(this is her below, with the cut in view. The photo was taken no more than a minute ago.)

·
Registered
261 Posts
Crusting is often a sign of infection. Talk to the vet and see if you can come to an arrangement financially. Watch her food and water intake. Monitor her activity. Perhaps someone else may be able to provide you with a home remedy. Whatever you DO NOT use tea tree oil! it is toxic to hedgies.
I think she needs to go to the vet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just moved to Sarasota, I haven't gotten in contact with any of the vets... I'll start tomorrow.

I'll def avoid the tea tree oil, stuff is deadly > n >

She's been eating well and drinking TONS-- her stool is healthy, if a little soft because I've been giving her more veggies trying to boost her strength.

Sigh. I just want her to be okay again.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Bye the way, she is a cutie!
Keep your eye on it, she may need antibiotics. Check the vet thread here and see if any vets in your area are listed. Let me know how she makes out.

·
Registered
944 Posts
You have to find out what caused this also.

Is there something sharp in her cage? Wheel, water bottle, toys? Any changes in bedding or laundry?

You could use regular strength antibiotic cream, no extra strength or "pain reliever" type. Check first to make sure she won't lick it off, put some on your finger and see if she's interested in eating it.

Poor girl, hugs to you both.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I used anti biotic cream (once a day) for Rowdy's back when he was quilling. One of his new quills wasn't breaking through his skin fast enough (I guess) so he kept scratching at it. Used anti biotic cream and now the area is healed up and his new quill is now "growing" fine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey all!
Update: She went to the vet, the cut isn't infected. She's on a topical and oral antibiotic, and getting better-- I honestly think she was bored being stuck at home all day (I started handling her less when she was injured), and ended up rubbing her head on things whilst looking for things to do.

tl;dr
She's perfectly fine and healing up nicely.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts