Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

Wilbur is 1.5 years old and has been experiencing quill loss since December 28th.

It began with 1-2 a night, then at its peak went to 20 in one day. I took him to the vet who did a full exam and skin scraping. She found no mites but we treated for mites anyways ( 1 treatment of revolution.) I replaced all of his bedding with new fleece and gave him an oatmeal bath. I put flaxseed oil on him just in case. I understand most effective mite treatments require 2-3 treatments, I just don't know if this even sounds like mites, especially when the vet was positive it wasn't and there are no sypmtoms.

Wilbur didnt lose any quills for a couple nights, then only lost 1-2 a night for a couple nights. He is back to losing about 8-10 a day now for two days in a row.

There are no bald patches or thinning. All of the quills have a root attatched. There is no redness, crust, or flakes, and no excessive scratching. Activity level and appetite are still the same. Nothing in the diet or environment has changed.

What struck me most odd is I found two baby quills today. They look way smaller than the rest. But why would he have baby quills at 1.5 years of age, and more importantly why would he be losing them? I attatched a photo for reference.

I gave him another oatmeal bath as he got himself quite dirty, and once again replaced all bedding and gave him some flaxseed oil. I'm desperate for advice at this point as he's lost almost 100 quills to date and I don't want it to add up. I also don't want to take him to the vet for no reason. Suggestions? Please Help <3

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update - Please help :(

Update. The quill loss is once again getting worse. He isn't scratching a ton and his ears and face / tummy look great, but his back is getting flakey and dry looking.

I've tried to order humilac and sunshine factor but both seem to be discontinued. I've given him oatmeal bath, added flaxseed to his bath rinse and his food, changed all of his bedding, and added a warm mist humidifier to his cage. At first I thought this helped but the quilling continues.

I've taken him back to the vet who once again said no mites / he is totally okay. I am surprised because she has extensive experience with hedgehogs and this doesn't seem okay to me. At this point should I request a test be done for a skin infection? Can you please look at the attached photos and see if that's what it looks like? I'm a little lost here and really can't tell if this is within the normal realm of hedgie dry skin or if this is serious.

PS. I should add this all started on Dec 28, so 105 quills in just under a month.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
May be too often. When we feel they need it and when they really do need it are often very different.
Also, you don't want to be adding anything topically to his skin. If there is a bacterial infection going on, it makes it worse. Remember bacteria like moist warm areas. The body is warm to begin with, adding the oil is adding moisture to the skin.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.