Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I know there are a few people that have mentioned they some how attached a contraption to their hedgehogs wheel to monitor how much they run, how fast they get and all sorts of good stuff. Since Murphey has recently taking a liking to his new wheel (thank you Vicki!) Im curious to see how much he does every night. Also, Im thinking it's a good way to monitor his health (looking for consistency in running habits and stuff). Frankly, I don't think I can tell how much he's running just by how much poop is caked on the wheel in the morning.

Basically, I'd love feed back from anybody who's done this or is doing it. Specifically:

-How you attached it to the hedgie wheel
-Which pedometer you used (if thats what you even use)
-And any other tidbits of info you'd like to share.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
I have not done this before, as the Flying Saucer wheel and Bucket wheel I have move a bit while in use, but if you were to do this you'd need a bicycle speedometer, and you'd need to calibrate it to the diameter of the wheel and all this stuff... I don't know the details but I have a document that explains it. I will see if I can get permission to post it. :)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Do you have one yet? Or know how it works? I got mine from walmart for under $10. There are kind of magnetic two parts. The wire piece stay at the side of the cage. I have a C&C so it makes it easy. The other free standing pieve goes on the wheel. I used velcro to attach mine. So when it was time to clean the wheel I can remove the receiver(not sure if that is what its caled) easily. Also yo have to calibrate it to the size of the wheel. There should be a chart inside. My chart didnt go as small as my wheel so I had to do a little math. Once all that is done, line up the two pieces and take your hand and move the wheel around to make sure its reading. Then let your hedgie have a ball running!

Aero has run over 10 miles one night. He is normally in the 7-8miles. But some nights he gets up there!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Melissa! Sounds fairly easy and more complicated to read then it actually takes to set up, lol.

·
Registered
123 Posts
My pedometer didnt track the highest speed. It just tracked current speed. I have to sneak in and crawl on the floor with a flash light to see how hast he was going at the moment. Of course with the soud of the door opening he would slow down. But if I laid perfectly still and quiet, he would start running again. I have seen the pedometer go to 3 or 4mph.

When i first started doing research on hedgies I read that they can run up to 6ft/sec So what ever that comes out to thats about how fast give or take that hedgies run. Remember this research though is from almost 2 years ago and a lot has changed since then. But thought it was interesting to point out.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
When i first started doing research on hedgies I read that they can run up to 6ft/sec
Hedgies can run faster than I can! LOL :lol:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts