Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! This is my first post. :D I've had my Hedgie for a couple months now and am about to get a second. (Of course in separate cages and such). I hope it's not a dumb question, but I am wondering if anyone has used the Pedi Paw for their hedgehog. I know they're designed for dogs/cats, but I didn't know if the hedgie's feet would be too small or if it would be worth the effort.
My hedgehog's nails aren't too long and I make sure that she has opportunity to run in her wheel and try and "self-file", but I was just curious.
Thanks! :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, that's the thing...I'm scared to cut the quick. I was always scared to trim my dog's nails too before he passed. I know it's important to maintain the nails, so obviously I'm not going to just ignore them and let them grow into a big problem, I just don't want to hurt my hedgie! :cry: So I figured, if there's a way to trim them without hurting her, then I'd like to do that.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Well, it is hard to make sure you dont nick it too close. When I bath luna I hold her in one hand on her back, with her on my hand and in the water she sticks her feet up in the air, almost like a reflex. I use nail clippers that look like a small pair of sewing scizzors, but are designed for nail triming on cats, birds and small mamles. When she sticks her feet up I can look close at each nail as I clip it and make sure I'm not right on or behind the quick. Just take it slow, and if hedgie squirms just be paitent.
Another trick I've used before (but almost certainly requires two people) is person A holds the hedgehog belly in palm, and lets the little legs slip through their fingers. Pick one leg at a time, and hold the leg between your fingers. Not too hard to hurt hedgie, but hard enough they cant pull their little foot back up, or wiggle a lot - that wont help trimming. Person B uses the clippers, and kneels down or sits down while Person A stands up to hold the hedgehog. This way person B can get a good look at the paw and nails while trimming. Its easier than trying to crouch down while standing, and person A trying to stand on their tip toes. :lol:

Another thing to have around you while you're triming nails is to have a teaspoon of corn startch off to the side. If you clip the quick and it begins to bleed, take a pinch of cornstartch and drop it on the nail. Or dip the nail/paw in the teaspoon of corn startch. This stops the bleeding and forms a bit of a shield for the nail to recover behind. This 'sheild' can be licked off or wiped off easily though, so be sure not to do or allow that while trimming. I can't imagine it tastes too good :)

·
Registered
414 Posts
Someone asked about pedi paws before. The general consensus was pretty much that hedgehog nails/feet are too small to use them efficiently.
You can see the quick in the nails, especially after a bath. Just be careful, and get someone else to help you hold the hedgie if you need to. Then reward with a mealie or two when done. :)

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
I would recommend for a cut quick, flour. If you've ever got cornstarch in a cut, believe me, it hurts! I wouldn't want to have a hedgie connect the stinging of that, with nail trimming. Flour works nearly as well, painlessly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for your experience & input! I guess I'll just have to suck it up and clip the nails. I hope I do a good job! :roll: Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts