Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm probably just crazy and paranoid, but I'm looking for some reassurance. My apartment now stays at a steady 71-73 degrees. Fiona seems to do best with this temperature. Any warmer and she tends to splat out in her cage outside of her igloo. Anyways, I'm graduating in a few months (yay!) And so I'll be going back home to live for a while. My moms apartment is a nice 58 degrees and she's fine with that. On the weekends she doesn't mind some heat if I bring her "grand baby" home but I don't think she'll deal with it for months.

Anyways so I decided to get a che. Reading reviews on thermostats, some people said theirs stopped working and got too hot and killed their pet. That's so horrible! Id die. Idk if this is just a one in a million chance or something but the mere thought is enough to scare the heck out of me. There may be times I'm not home for 9 hours I can't be constantly checking. What do I do? Should I get a 60watt? Would that be safer? I just can't bear the thought! I know so many of you use them I probably sound silly. Just not sure. She doesn't even like it at 75 degrees let alone hotter :?

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
The only way it would get too hot and kill the pet is if there is no thermostat, or the thermostat quits working. When I use a CHE setup, I use the smallest wattage of emitter that will do the job. That way, if the thermostat does happen to quit working, chances are being on all the time is not going to get too hot. Using a high wattage emitter is more of a risk than a low watt.

I personally would never use a CHE with a bin. Bins are too enclosed and there is too much risk of heat buildup especially if the thermostat quit. With a wire cage and the emitter on one side, if it gets too hot there, hedgie can move.

Also make certain the fixture can be securely attached to the cage so it can't slide off.

As with anything, there can be problems but with a few precautions they are a very good heating option. :)

·
Registered
912 Posts
I've had two Zilla thermostat controllers die over the years. When they did, they cut off power to the CHEs; ie, the opposite of what you've read.

I wonder if the fail-safe position on the thermostats differs by company. Do you (or anyone for that matter) know the name of the brands that continued to supply power to the CHEs after they died?

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Back 7ish years ago when I was buying for my first CHE setup, one of the temperature controllers was not approved to be sold in Canada. I'm not remembering the name of it, but it had the numbers on the dial. At that time, it was having issues of sticking on. Zilla, doesn't sound right, but I know soon after that particular controller changed names and was then approved for sale in Canada.

I know it wasn't the Repti-Temp which is one reason I bought the Repti-temp. Of course that was 7ish years ago so I'm sure things have changed.

·
Registered
622 Posts
At 58° the temperature of the cage probably won't overheat with a che...i dont know if it will even get warm enough.vvdont get me wrong you should use a thermostat, i am just concerned she will need to get it warmer in the house. If she is stubborn about turning up the heat and you can't get it warm enough i am always willing to watch after a hog in need until it gets warmer out

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
jerseymike1126 said:
At 58° the temperature of the cage probably won't overheat with a che...i dont know if it will even get warm enough.
Don't worry the temperature will NOT be 58 degrees. Not just because of Fiona...but I don't like hibernating either :roll: We usually agree on about 65-67. So I think a CHE will be fine. And maybe one day I will be looking for an adoption...but right now, she costs me enough. typical daughters haha i like spoiling her anyways. But I will keep you in mind! :)

And Nancy, I do have plastic bins, but the entire top is screen, and I have a million holes so I think the air flow is not bad. I guess being at college and going home some weekends, the plastic bin was just easier to transport, especially inconspicuously, hiding her from the RAs lol

Smhufflepuff: The thermostat I was looking at that said it killed their pets is this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Zilla-11939-Tempe ... thermostat

More than one person said it was unsafe. I would much rather it just took off as a fail-safe mechanism rather than cook my poor baby. Seriously the thought makes me want to cry. Like I feel horrible for these people who lost their pets :( I'm still undecided haha I might get a 60watt and test it out on a regular, non-hedgie bin. Meaning, even if it were staying on all day, see how hot it actually gets.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts