Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a hedgehog that just came in as a rescue who is paralyzed from her back hips and down. We are under vet care and I'm not looking for medical advice or 'vet now!' comments. :)

What I'm looking for is advice on quality of life ideas from anyone else who has worked with a paralyzed hedgehog (or other small animal). Any ideas from experience for best cage set up and things she can do for entertainment since she can't wheel? Her front half is a very normal hedgehog, she's alert and curious and wants to explore. She eats and drinks well, and can scoot herself around, although it is with much effort. When do you decide that quality of life is not okay and she is suffering?

Some background: I don't have a history on her, she was found in a cardboard box that some kids had at a garage sale. The original rescuer didn't know anything about hedgehogs but recognized an animal in distress so she got her and then contacted me.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Maybe use liners or some type of flooring thats easy for her to scoot around on like tiles or something. Balls, stuffed animals, and other toys that are easy to push around or go through could keep her entertained. I had a bunny who had been paralyzed (it was caused by an illness and there wasn't any cure the vet knew of) from the ribs down and had gotten really bad to the point where she had to be put down. But before that we had made sure that her food and water dish was easily accessible and she didn't have to reach to get at them and that there were chews and toys that could be easily moved. Also Im not sure if its the same case as your hedgehog but she had to have her bottom bathed ever day or two and cage fully cleaned every second day because of scooting in her own waste. Ive seen there are little wheel chair things you can get for other animals I wonder if you'd be able to make one using an old tepdeck or lego car wheels so it could get around easier. We had decided to make the hard choice to put her to sleep once it got to the point of having to clean her bum everyday, she was still full of life but you could tell that she was suffering and it just wasn't fair to her to live that way. maybe give the rescue a few week and then decide if they're struggling to do everyday things or if they don't have any trouble at all and go by that

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you!
I'm finding puppy pads are working well for her. She can scoot on them easily and she pees where she's laying so it absorbs the pee well so she's not just always laying in a wet spot.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts