Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You've all probably heard this a million times and I'm sorry, I'm just a huge worry wort. New mommy over here.

Today I brought home my first hedgie, Luna, and she's the sweetest little thing. I've been reading through everything to make sure her home is happy and safe. I didn't want to get her a plastic bin container because my cats all have a habit of sleeping in them, so they would absolutely try regardless of a prickly baby inside!

So, I bought Luna a wire guinea pig cage from Petsmart and it fits everything in nicely. Only thing is earlier she was trying to climb the wires! She managed to climb about 4 inches up before plopping back into the bedding.

I read somewhere about a hedgie getting his head stuck and hanging himself now I'm terrified to go to work and leave her be. I can't get a new cage right now and I don't want to cover her up so I can't see her...she like's peek-a-boo.

Sorry for the long, stressful post.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Hedgehogs are surprisingly good climbers. They aren't so crafty about the falling part though...and they can get hurt even from just falling a few inches. That being said if you plan on staying with the cage you have you'll probably want to add some higher walls. You can be creative but something like choroplast works best. You can find it at Lowes or Home Depot usually...or if you have a local sign shop that will sell some to you. There are lots of youtube videos on homemade cages that will help you with other tips and ideas as well. Once you line the walls high enough that she learns she can't climb she should stop trying.

You said you did lots of research so I assume you have a wheel for her but just wanted to mention that as well. The wheel is important and hedgehogs definitely go nuts (and are much more prone to climb) if they don't have one. Flying saucer wheel, comfort wheel and of course something like a Carolina Storm wheel are most highly recommended around here.

Good luck!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll head to the local craft store after work and get something together! Thank you. Yes she has a 12in bucket wheel that she loves and when I left she was sleeping.

So hoping nothing happens when I'm card. Might weave some felt through the bars to discourage the climbing as a last resort.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.