Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I'm new here, and I'm several months away from even starting to think about owning a hedgie, but I've been doing lots of research in the meantime to prepare. I came across these "pet wipes", and I was wondering if anyone could tell me if they would work for cleaning poopy feet and such between baths. They are called Tropiclean OxyMed Soothing Pet Wipes, and the ingredients are as follows:

• Purified Water
  • Glycerol
  • mild coconut cleanser
  • oatmeal extract
  • fragrance

I get the feeling that the fragrance part may be the biggest problem, but if anyone could help me out I'd appreciate it!

·
Registered
112 Posts
They should be fine, but it would be much easier to give the hedgie a foot bath. Just fill up the sink a little like a normal bath and add soap of course, then just let your hedgie walk around a little and maybe try to wipe the feet with a towel. With many hedgies, they simply do not like you to mess with their feet or anywhere that doesn't have protective quills, but when in water, they don't really seem to care and just want OUT.

·
Registered
944 Posts
You'd be better off with just a wet paper towel, just let hedgie walf around on it to clean the feeties off. Maybe a tiny bit of Aveeno baby oatmeal shampoo.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
That "mild coconut cleanser" that is found in a lot of baby and animal wipes is actually Cocamidopropyl betaine. Half of the internet says the stuff is amazing and the other half is terrified of it. There have been a few studies done showing it is an allergen but nothing is conclusive yet. I personally have stopped using any wipes at all and just use water because I'm paranoid of anything that heavily refined. Here is its wikipedia page if you're interested: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cocamidopropyl_betaine

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
On top of the ingredients, the product is not really needed. Wet paper towel could serve the same purpose at a fraction of the cost.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts