Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today is a hot day and we dont have our air conditioner set up yet. I am very hot and the room that the hedgehogs are in is so hot that our paint is melting on the wallls. JayJay's Hedgie Fabio is literally laying sprawled out. JayJay even tryed feeding him his favorite treat(meal worms) and he wouldn't even eat it. We are holding them right now because we are not letting them stay in that hot room. We are down stairs right now where it is much cooler. We have already took them outside today and it is really hot outside. Fabio is eating bananas right now, and he is really enjoying them. What can we do to help our hedgies out?

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
If you have paint that is melting on the walls, those hedgehogs cannot be back in that room. That is extremely hot and usually only a fire will create enough heat to melt the paint and that happens long after any living thing is already dead.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Hello,

What do they live in? We had the AC go out last summer here in Florida and it was terrible. I did not have a hedgehog at the time. We put a cookie sheet on top of our rat cage with 2 large frozen cooler blocks and it cooled him down a lot. I always keep several in the freezer now. I also put ice cubes in his water bowl :)
If it happens again I will take Herisson to a friends house.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Taking them outside (away from any paint fumes and stuffy rooms) and in the shade, may help. But you need to find a more permenant way of keeping them cool, if this goes on much longer.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Subject: over heating

K9_girl1994 said:
I am very hot and the room that the hedgehogs are in is so hot that our paint is melting on the wallls.
Hyperbolical? I should hope nobody would be in a room that was really melting paint :)
Do you have a friend you can stay with that will welcome the hedgies as well until you fix things?
What do your parents say?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We brought them out of that room and put their cages down stairs. They are much better now. My gram has a big fan in the storage unit and she is getting it. Also we are putting up the air copnditioner but we cant right now because our mom just had surgery yesterday and cant pull or lift heavy things.

Our paint is wierd upstairs....it is like all sweaty. We aren't even sleeping up there I dont think, we are going to put a tent up. We checked the temp. up there and it was around 95 degrees. Now it is around 90 degrees.They live in marchioro cages. And oh yeah we dont really have friends other than family, our aunt lives close but it wouldn't work out because she is sheet rocking painting and fixing her house right now. Also her boy friend smokes.

We had to stack Bruno's cage on top of Fabio's and we used fleece strips to tie them so they wont slide. We also had to put the exercise pen around it so Dude(our dog) wont spray their cages as easily and we felt that it was safer just in case.

·
Registered
7 Posts
While we are on the subject what is too hot for a hedgie? It was unseasonably hot here in Mass this weekend and it was mid to high 80s in my room. Ziggy seemed to like it as he was more active than he has been in months however I am concerned with the looming 90+ days coming later this week. Unfortunately I can't go get my ac out of storage until next week.

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
You don't want them to be in temperatures any higher than about 80. Aestivation, which is brought on by extreme heat, is about the same situation as with hibernation, only it's not quite as dangerous. It's still not good for the hedgehog, though, and should be avoided. Some hedgehogs could be more sensitive to high temperatures than other hogs, same as with cold temperatures.
If it's going to be that warm outside, one way you can cool down the cage is to put an ice pack on the top of the cage, so the cold air sinks down into the cage. Make sure you keep an eye on the temp, though, and don't let it get too cool.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Be careful with a fan. Everything I've read from long-time hedgie owners says that putting a hedgie in a draft isn't good for them.

Good call on bringing the hedgies and their cages downstairs.

I wonder if it's condensation rather than paint that's running... You know, like how you can get water running down the walls in your bathroom if you take a long hot shower and don't turn on the fan... it's just water. Seems like maybe if there's enough heat and humidity in your house, maybe that's what's happening.

But, back to your hedgies... I've used ice packs with mine. I created a cooler corner when Satin and I were staying at a house without AC. I had several of those plastic ice block things that you put in coolers, took them out of the freezer, and stacked them sort of Lincoln Log style on the outside of one corner of Satin's cage. That way she could choose to move into or away from the corner as needed. Fortunately, it cooled down at night so I could put all the blueice blocks back in the freezer to re-freeze. During the day, I was rotating different sets in and out of the freezer.

If you put the block of ice on top, I'm thinking it'll cool the whole cage... which, depending on how hot it is, might be the exact right thing to do. Make sure you keep an eye on the thermometer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts