Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was considering buying an outdoor pen for my hedgehog in the spring but I was wondering if hedgehogs enjoy this and when the best time to bring them outside would be. I only say that because my hedgehog in particular is not only agitated during the day (cause she'd rather be sleeping), but she is also extra grumpy when the sunlight is too bright.

I'm not sure if this question makes sense, I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with this or knows if hedgehogs enjoy being outside despite it being during the day, or if they just get used to it.

Anyway, let me know. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Hedgehogs are nocturnal a so they sleep during the day. Imagine you go to bed and someone wakes you at 2 in the morning expecting you to be happy and have a ful in depth conversation... You wouldn't be happy.

If you decide to do that anyways, you need to make sure is escape proof, that no animals
Can come in, that he has plenty of places to hide and those should be dark, that the temperature is perfect too.

Honestly, I wouldn't bother.

·
Registered
I have 2,hedgie Leia & Meeko!
246 Posts
I agree with Artemis-Ichiro, It seems like a really cool idea but in the long run I don't think that he would dig it all that much. He would probably rather be inside in his home. It may be more costly to you and I would worry about other animals trying to eat him.

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
There are way too many factors to consider with this for most people to be able to accommodate.
There is there obvious threats, predators and escape.

Then there are equally dangerous, but less obvious threats.
Insects can have traveled through chemicals or carry parasites.
Soil could be contaminated.
Anything that's been spayed on the yard or neighboring yards for the past years.
Animal feces that could be there or virus shed through feces.
Plant matter that could be toxic.

For most people, by the time you account for each of these issues, there is almost no advantage of bringing then out to play.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.