Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had wanted a hedgie for awhile and now just seemed to be as good of a time as any. We live in East TN and were unable to locate any good breeders in the area and had one flown in from illinois. My Girl and I were shocked at what arrived in the carrier. It looked balled up and HUGE! It had been on an airplane that was delayed 3+ hours. So of course I would be pissed too. When we got him home and ready to put in his cage I took my shirt that I was wearing off and wrapped him up in it and I've never heard an animal hiss like that, quite shocking for a first impression. We left him alone in his cage for a bit and when he relaxed his quills and unballed he looked so small. We've had prick for a little more than a week and he is doing amazing. That first night he took to the wheel right away. Now every morning I come down to the den his wheel is covered in poo. We've been handling him a little bit every night and he seems to be calming down quite a bit. He sleeps under that same shirt even though we bought him a nice big house =P So everytime I go to pick him up he is balled up under the shirt. I slowly remove the shirt and he puffs up and hisses a bit, but now I can pick him up with my bare hands. It used to take him forever to unball and now within a couple seconds he pokes his nose out and starts unballing. And I didn't realize how fast these little critters are. We had him between us on the floor on a blanket and once those little legs get going he's rather quick going from one side to the other.

Im not trying to be gross, but this is just an observation. It seems like for such a small animal they have big poos. And not only big but alot. I noticed when we first got prick he didn't really seem to eat much of his food. And I only saw a few turds around the cage and maybe one or two on his wheel. Now, omg its like someone is coming in the middle of the night and squeezing it all out of him. He's eating his food like crazy now. Its just funny.

Well, sorry for the long rambling post. I wanted to post on here and say thank you as I trolled this forum before purchasing a hoglet and now we have quite an interesting pet.

·
Premium Member
11,963 Posts
Glad you guys are doing good with your new pet! He sounds cute, we'd love to see pictures! :D And welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
273 Posts
CONGRATS!!!AND Welcome to HHC :D we'd all love to see pics :D :D :D !!!!!!

(P.S. WARNING: u will be hassled for pics :D, ALOT) just a warning!!!!

we all kno how it gets with a new hedgie intro!!!!!!! (it seems like a tradition, lol)

·
Registered
183 Posts
I know exactly what you mean about the tons of poop. It's crazy isn't it? Like a baby. You didn't think that so much could come out of something so little.
Congratulations on your new baby. Do you have a name for him yet?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts