Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spike bit me last night as I was holding him.. he latched onto my thumb pretty hard.. now its quite swollen and sore at the site of the bite tonight.. it almost looks like how a water blister looks.. will this require medical attention, or am I being a big baby? He's only nibbled at my hands before, but this was a full on chomp ( I was wearing hand lotion, so I suspect thats what attracted him to bite so hard)

·
Registered
912 Posts
Unless you have pre-existing problems with your immune system, just cleaning it up with soap and water (maybe a bandaid if you wanted) should be enough.

·
Administrator
3,838 Posts
Dawn, I would start by cleaning the site thoroughly. I've had a couple of bites that broke skin and they healed without any problems. They were sore for a day afterward, and I assumed that was because they were in sensitive areas of my hands.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, skin was broken.. a tiny little break.. anyway, I think I'll be ok.. it still a bit swollen, but not as much as it was yesterday.. gonna keep it clean and keep an eye on it for the next day or 2..
I know now not to wear lotion or anything like that on my hands before picking Spike up :oops:

G

·
It is always wise to clean throughly and disinfect any open wound. Inflammation is a normal part of any wound healing process. Redness that continues to get larger over a period of days, or wounds that are not wanting to scab over and heal need watch attention to staying clean and disinfected. Sometimes bacteria can be introduced (from any source- dirt, air, rubbing your nose, whatever...) that can complicate normal healing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.