Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a little baby that the mother shunned. She ate his brothers and sisters and thankfully, this one lived, but she won't nurse him. ((Ok, before anyone fusses, because I know you will, yes, the mother ate them out of stress. No, I really can't do much about the stress. We have them in a bin kinda away from most of the other things in the pet store, with a screen lid on top and a sign clearly saying "DO NOT TOUCH HEDGEHOGS. THEY HAVE BABIES!" But unfortunately, stupid little kids still get through and mess with them.))

So I took the little one home. I have him in a ten gallon aquarium, no lid, wrapped in towels and a heat pad under him to keep him warm. I'm feeding him goats milk every three hours but now I just bought some kitten milk and I'm gonna switch to that.

I've taken care of baby kittens, puppies, and squirrels. But this is way different. Any tips? Am I doing this right? No fussing please >.> I'm kinda tired of getting fussed at on this forum. If you guys were to come to my snake forum, I'd be nice to you. So I'd appreciate the same courtesy >.>

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm sorry you feel like people are attacking you on here. I'm sure it was no ones intention. Hedgehogs are very delicate creatures and the people here only try to do their part by making sure inexperienced owners understand how to provide care and know what to expect, hopefully weeding out the people who wouldn't really care for the animal as opposed to someone who would.

I'm also sorry to hear about the living conditions of your hedgehogs. It was good of you to take in the baby, it probably wouldn't have lasted another day. Could you move the mother to the back of store, in an office somewhere?

Try to find some fleece for the baby and an alternative heating source. Towels can catch on their nails, and a heating pad can get too hot and burn them. I don't know anything about raising a baby hedgehog, especially without a mother, but I wish you the best of luck.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you soooo much. It wouldn't have lasted another day actually. There were two babies left, but when I pointed out to my boss that the mother wasn't nursing them he told me to leave them in there. I came back the next day and only one baby was left. Finally he agreed we needed to do something about it. Jackass. Excuse my language, I hate my boss lol.

The hedgehogs can be moved to the back of the store, but people still go back there anyways. Especially kids. I hate kids >.> They're the worst. No, I take that back. I hate parents who don't control their kids. ((I have issues with kids running wild in my store. They wasted half my bird seed, lost one of our leopard geckos and put the other leopard gecko in the cage with the tortoises. I happened to not be working at the time they did this otherwise I'd have skinned the kids alive. I believe in spankings and I'm so not afraid to hit another person's kid.))

I'll switch one of my snake's lamps with the heating pad then. Can you get fleece from wal-mart?

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
lovesnuffles said:
I hate kids >.> They're the worst. No, I take that back. I hate parents who don't control their kids.
agreed completely.

as for the fleece, i know that you can find it at any fabric store. if you have some time, you may also try searching for baby blankets on ebay. i got a set of gently used blankies from there for a sweet price. :)

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Yes, you can buy fleece at Walmart.
Make sure the temp is at a constant 73-78 degrees, probably closer to 78 because he's so young.
Also, I agree with the comment about the uncontrolled kids.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Triple agree on the kids for the most part, modern parents in general scare me, and so does the 'next' generation of kids that'll be in power when I'm old and unable to fight back, hehe.

And sorry if people have been short with you on the forums or at least souned like it, as the other members have said, its just we care so much for all hedgehogs, I know it was probably the thread on the lost female, so if anything, members of HHC should be mad at your boss who shouldn't even be breeding these guys, I know you said a few were by mistake and such, hopefully he'll stop breeding them, because there are too many hedgehogs in the world that don't have a home, plus the other things (WHS, health issues), either way, if you ever leave and get another job, I'd leave his pet store info here. I know when you first came on here, you wanted to help those hedgies out and try and take over their care, but I get the feeling your boss feels different about it. You tried, thats the good thing.

I always seem to be the one who wants to bring up the down side of things, but brace yourself for the worse case scenario in this case, depending on the baby's age. I've read its hard for the babies to survive without the mother, even with constant care, but we'll all say a prayer to the hedgehog gods for the baby and you for it to turn out good.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Will do on the baby blankets! Actually, my grandma might still have a box of them left from when we were babies.

I'm trying to keep the temperature up to around 80 or so. He feels like he's getting enough heat. He's not cold but he's not hot and fevered either. He's pleasantly warm to the touch. He doesn't even have fur yet :/ And his eyes aren't open .... She* Sorry. It's a girl lol. And I don't feel like backspacing all that :p

Puffers, I was afraid of that :/ She's eating well though! That's a good sign right? She doesn't seem to like the kitten milk though ... She practically attacked the goat milk :/ Which worries me because that was the last pack of it we had and my old place of work doesn't have any either. ((I wish I still worked there. I brought them the hedgehog to see and they were properly appalled at my boss and properly in love with this baby.))

We've decided we're gonna keep her though. The store isn't getting her back, no matter what my boss believes lol. My step-dad is already attached to her, so she's gonna be his pet that I'm gonna end up having to take care of :) Lol, so the other one I posted pictures of before is gonna go to someone else I decide is worthy.

Thanks for the nice replies though guys. It's just stressful, what between work and an ******* boss (Scuse the language), and then coming here and getting fussed at for doing everything wrong. I really don't know anything. I'm trying though. That counts for something. I could be like "Oh you guys don't know anything. Ours are fine just how they are. I don't need help." But I do want them to be healthy and I'm also not a know-it-all prick >.>

And as for the lost female, no updates on her, but the trap has been set and we're still waiting. And they won't be breeding again if I have anything to say about it. Maybe in the future, IF I'm still working there ((I almost feel like I HAVE to stay now because no one else really cares for the hogs)), after I learn more about how to breed them, I might. Cause I really don't think there are many breeders in Louisiana. Hedgehogs aren't a pet you see commonly around these parts. As far as I know, my store is the only ones around that have them, so I'm gonna look into breeding them, but in the future. For now I'm gonna concentrate on their health and keeping this new little one alive.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
lovesnuffles said:
Will do on the baby blankets! Actually, my grandma might still have a box of them left from when we were babies.

I'm trying to keep the temperature up to around 80 or so. He feels like he's getting enough heat. He's not cold but he's not hot and fevered either. He's pleasantly warm to the touch. He doesn't even have fur yet :/ And his eyes aren't open .... She* Sorry. It's a girl lol. And I don't feel like backspacing all that :p

Puffers, I was afraid of that :/ She's eating well though! That's a good sign right? She doesn't seem to like the kitten milk though ... She practically attacked the goat milk :/ Which worries me because that was the last pack of it we had and my old place of work doesn't have any either. ((I wish I still worked there. I brought them the hedgehog to see and they were properly appalled at my boss and properly in love with this baby.))

We've decided we're gonna keep her though. The store isn't getting her back, no matter what my boss believes lol. My step-dad is already attached to her, so she's gonna be his pet that I'm gonna end up having to take care of :) Lol, so the other one I posted pictures of before is gonna go to someone else I decide is worthy.

Thanks for the nice replies though guys. It's just stressful, what between work and an A****** boss (Scuse the language), and then coming here and getting fussed at for doing everything wrong. I really don't know anything. I'm trying though. That counts for something. I could be like "Oh you guys don't know anything. Ours are fine just how they are. I don't need help." But I do want them to be healthy and I'm also not a know-it-all prick >.>

And as for the lost female, no updates on her, but the trap has been set and we're still waiting. And they won't be breeding again if I have anything to say about it. Maybe in the future, IF I'm still working there ((I almost feel like I HAVE to stay now because no one else really cares for the hogs)), after I learn more about how to breed them, I might. Cause I really don't think there are many breeders in Louisiana. Hedgehogs aren't a pet you see commonly around these parts. As far as I know, my store is the only ones around that have them, so I'm gonna look into breeding them, but in the future. For now I'm gonna concentrate on their health and keeping this new little one alive.
Nancy will tell you more about this if she gets a chance, but puppies milk works wonders!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Who's Nancy?

And she keeps squeaking. Is that normal or should I be worried? Do I need to feed her more? o.o She eats like a ... well ... hog, lol, and when she's done she definitely lets me know and I JUST fed her. I dunno, first time mother jitters >.>

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Esbilac puppy formula

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I have esbilac goat milk ((Which she LOVES)) and esbilac kitten milk, which I thought would be better for her since they eat cat food when they get older anyways. But I'll go tomorrow and get puppy milk. Store is closed now D: I'll just feed her the goat milk for now.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Keep her on goats milk. It is more easily digested than kitten or puppy. If she's squeaking she is probably hungry.

Are you rubbing her tummy to make sure she eliminates every time she eats? Bloat is the leading cause of death in these wee babies.

Deneen wrote an article on hand feeding babies http://hedgehogcentral.com/handfeed.shtml
She has had the most success hand feeding than anyone else I know so you might want to contact her. She is Hedgiepets on here.

Hand raising is very difficult and you have to feed baby ever 2 hours round the clock for the next 2 weeks and then every 3 hours.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
yeah, even very small kittens need gentle tummy rubs to help them to go potty in such situations.

·
Registered
69 Posts
fracturedcircle said:
yeah, even very small kittens need gentle tummy rubs to help them to go potty in such situations.
Oh yes! I had an abandoned Hamster baby who was nursed for less than an hour, I looked in the hamster cage to see the mother died, without delivering any of the babies except one. It broke my heart but ended up feeding the baby hamster 3 drops of milk every hour without sleeping. "Chance" (I named him) made it 2 whole days but ended up dying because he wouldnt pee. I felt horrible but knew I did all I could. And as for Penelope, his mother who died because she couldnt handle the pregnancy, it took me weeks to stop thinking about her. Although I still think about her I know I gave her a good life.

Anyways enough about ranting, haha yeah you have to make sure you rub the "privates" so it will urinate and poop. Unless you dont have to do that with hedgie babies?

-Heather

·
Registered
64 Posts
lovesnuffles said:
... and then coming here and getting fussed at for doing everything wrong. I really don't know anything. I'm trying though. That counts for something. I could be like "Oh you guys don't know anything. Ours are fine just how they are. I don't need help." But I do want them to be healthy and I'm also not a know-it-all prick >.>
I looked up the two other threads you made and found no evidence to support your claims.

Most people do everything wrong the first time, there's nothing to be ashamed of when you didn't know any better.

"I could be like "Oh you guys don't know anything. Ours are fine just how they are. I don't need help.""
Yeah, you could react that way and some people do. But why would you sign up and make threads on a forum you didn't want feedback from? You keep saying you're 'getting fussed' at by users, if you're truly unhappy here why do you keep coming back?

It seems to me you're letting your defensive attitude get in the way of people trying to help you. In your original post you're already on the defense, "before anyone fusses, because I know you will". You get in your own way and sabotage any chance there might have been of you benefiting from being here. We all screw up and make mistakes. Sometimes it's hard asking for help and admitting our faults, but we need to swallow our pride and just do it.

I hope you don't take that the wrong way. If you stick around for awhile you'll see we're all here because we care about the welfare of the animals. And that this is one of the most informative forums, with some of the friendliest open-minded people you'll ever meet.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok, I haven't been rubbing her but I wasn't sure you had to do that with hedgies. I'll go do that really quickly! Ahhhh!!! Ok, she peed, but she didn't poop. She did pass gas however. I'm gonna try again before I feed her again to get her to poop.

Sorry to hear about your hamster Heather D: That's sad. I'm always sad when our pet store hamsters die. I'll be really sad when our cool dwarf dies or gets sold. He does backflips D: Not joking!! It's so cool!! He gets on top of his "house" and does backflips off it.

Nancy, thank you for that article. It really gave me some insight. Time to change things!! Bloat sounds scary. Gonna try and prevent that at all costs. I actually do have some Bene-Bac, it came with the formula, so that's awesome o.o And I'm also gonna call my vet and see if he can't get me on tube feeding. It's hard feeding her with a syringe. She doesn't like it, it's hard and her little mouth is tinier than the tiniest syringe. She accepts the bottle, but we have to tweak the nipple we're using. It's long and pointy much like a mama hedgie's nipple. I thought it would be easier on her. Well it is but the dang formula won't pass through. Water passes through just fine, but not milk apparently. I'm kinda finger feeding her right now, letting her suck the milk off my finger. She likes it and she eats happily that way and I'm careful not to let her stick her nose in it, but it takes a while to get enough in her belly lol.

Nougat, maybe I took some of the posts the wrong way, but it did seem like some people were being rude and I am trying. Especially when I mentioned the snake that was loose in my house >.> People seemed to blow that way out of proportion. Even if I was on the defensive and if I was unhappy here, I'd come anyway. I love animals too and you guys are knowledgeable, even more so than me. I do tend to get defensive quickly when I'm feeling threatened, much like any animal, but I'll stand my ground to get the information I need. From my experience on my snake forum, I do realize the best source of information you can get is from a forum from other people who have gone through these experiences already that you can talk to and ask specific questions to that care sheets don't often cover and this is the most active forum on hedgehogs. So I'll stay here.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
Letting her suck it off your finger is fine, just make certain your hands are well washed and disinfected before doing so. I have tried syringe feeding a couple of times and I used a 1 cc/ml syringe and just let baby lick the drop off the end of the syringe.

Here's another article on hand feeding. http://www.hedgehogworld.com/content/view/75/42/

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah I tried to get her to lick it off the syringe. I don't think she likes the hardness of it though.

She hasn't pooped yet .... What can I do for that? She's peed four times since I posted earlier this morning, but no poop. Poor baby, I had no idea I was backing her up so bad D:

·
Registered
259 Posts
Glad to see you're helping this baby~ best of luck!
I just wanted to add, I saw your other post and in no way was anyone attacking you. The problem is that you were very vague (not specific or certain important details left out) with your questions/comments and it clearly confused people. First you said you had a hedgie loose, then after a few replies with great advice from people you mention btw it's loose at a pet store- which changes the story~in turn, changing the advice. Then a few comments later you say you lost a snake. Of course people are going to think you now mean that the hedgie AND snake are lost at the store! That's a scary thought for anyone who loves hedgehogs (or snakes for that matter)! lol
My suggestion would be: be very clear with your questions and always include the important details. Losing a hedgie in a room in your house (where you are able to do anything necessary to find it) is much different than losing it in a big pet store. I think you were just reacting quickly wanting to find help and maybe that's why the details were left out.
That being said~ you definitely seem to put in extra efforts at work and I hope your boss notices this. Even if you don't end up staying there, going above and beyond what's required of you should get you a great reference for your next job. :)
The people on this forum are experience and knowledgeable and won't steer you wrong. No one wants you to leave or feel threatened in any way.
(sorry I have no useful info on helping baby hedgehogs...the only thing I can say is..."they're cute!" lol) I'll leave the real advice to the experts.
Again, best of luck!!
~Melissa

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
Melissa is absolutely right. We can only help and comment on what information you give us, and at times when the information is vague, we are bound to try and help find solutions for the worst case scenario. No one is trying to be harsh at all, only working with what we are given.

Good luck with the baby! For the gas, you may want to try Simethicone drops. They are baby gas drops, you put one drop in a certain amount of formula (of course now I can't remember how much that is) but it will help with the gas and prevent bloat.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts