Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

So I made a big mistake the day before and cleaned my hedgehogs cage when the babies were only 10 days old. It smelled so bad but I should have held out longer because this morning both babies (2) were out of the nest/fleece sack and one of them had been eaten/maimed. I went back and forth as to whether I should hand raise the remaining one all morning and now it's here with me at work. I have KMR and a syringe with a tiny catheter tip to help feed him. Any tips? I am a licensed vet tech and have successfully hand raised kittens, squirrels and opossums but never a hedgehog! How often and how much should I be feeding him? There really isn't a ton of information available.
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
528 Posts
Goats milk with baby gas drops. This facebook group, ask for Alison Weller, she has just dealt with hand raising some babies. https://www.facebook.com/groups/382631271838164/
Every 2 hours, on the dot. Use a q-tip soaked in warm water to stimulate their bowel movements. If the stomach turns dark or starts to bloat you have issues.
Seriously, Alison, awesome woman.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you! I've been feeding him KMR every 4 hours, or when he squeaks. Unfortunately today his stomach looks bloated, I'm really bummed. I should have known not to feed straight KMR, I always cut it with water with the squirrels, it's too rich for them. I'm going to feed him water with like, a drop of KMR for the next couple feedings until he looks better. I got the baby gas drops, do you think I should just feed him a drop?

·
Registered
139 Posts
You should dilute the KMR so it's not to strong. I'm not sure if it is safe for hedgies but I read in another post that when they were hand raising mice, they diluted the KMR and added a drop of simethicone to prevent bloating. You can also try feeding him half of puppies milk with half of goat milk EVERY 2 HOURS and add a little baby gas drops and also use the q tip dipped in warm water to stimulate the bowel movements. Usually its very hard to keep a rejected baby alive, so just try to keep him fed and comfortable and I am wishing you and him the best.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts