Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HE'S HERE!!! HE'S HERE!!! Finally after 6 months of waiting my lil' boy Oreo is here! I just brought him home like an hour ago. He's very sweet and he is really cute. :lol: He also has a great personality. He's exploring his cage at the moment. Well that's it for now though I will post pictures later. Maybe tomorrow.

- Daniel

·
Registered
176 Posts
Re: Oreo is here!! He's here!!!

You must be so happy :D I remember the day I brought my hedgies home, it was so worth the wait.

Enjoy your little one and congratulations!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

One question though. :?: Can I start holding him today or should I wait for tomorrow?

·
Registered
5,136 Posts

You can hold him today, but just let him hang out in your lap or something. Nothing too stressful for a few days. :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Is this normal behavior for a baby? Like I'll walk into the room and he'll be running on his wheel then when he sees me he freezes for like 2 seconds then runs behind the wheel and tries to hide his face. What's this behavior supposed to be? Is he nervous, shy, scared?

EDIT : He's also trying to climb the walls. Why is he doing that? I'm worried he might break a leg or something.

EDIT : again. I've also found little quills all over his cage like the size of my pinkie nail. Is this quilling? ( like 1-1/2cm I have small hands haha )

·
Registered
508 Posts

freezeing on his wheel is very normal for hedgies, especially new baby's.
even when my hedgie was older she still did that, it just all depends on the hedgie. :)

what type of cage do you have? you are deffinitly going to want to block him off from climbing some how. even a slight fall could cause serious problems.

and yes it sounds like he is quilling, but keep an eye out for mites just in case ;)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I have a super pet cage I think 40 by 20inches? and the space between the bars is about one inch. And the times he starts to climb the wall is when he tries to hide from me. I also hear him scratch himself or something.

·
Registered
124 Posts

Congrats on your new hedgie. It has been a long wait for you. Enjoy your little quills.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Ok so his first day was great. When I was handling him he never huffed up or balled up. Though when his quills poked my arm my arm started to itch. And now he doesn't try to hide or climb. I think he's pretty much used to the house now. I will make sure to post pics by the end of this week. Oh and I also saw him annoiting for the first time. I gave him a meal worm and he annoited with half of it and ate the rest.

·
Registered
11 Posts

Congrats on your hedgie!

I just got mine 4 days ago... the wait was the worst haha.

Whenever I come into the room and my hog is out of his igloo, he'll freeze... sometimes he'll even run back inside his igloo and wait for me to leave, I'm guessing its instinct for him to stay safe.

I haven't had a problem with climbing walls since my cage only has a couple horizontal bars.

The quilling should be perfectly normal, you want to make sure they all have follicles at one end (they look like tiny balls) which indicate quilling. If they don't have follicles it could be mites. I've been collecting the quills, he sheds pinto quills a lot more than his normal ones. :lol:

Your arm and hands should continue to be irritated by the hedgehog, especially the quills, for a while until your skin gets used to it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Ok thanks. :D
Now I'm not as worried as I used to be. There are follicles on the end of the quills and he's not climbing the walls anymore. Today I also experienced cleaning the dirtiest wheel in history.....I 'm still getting shivers. hahaah :lol: Anyways oreo is now asleep in my shirt.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: Oreo is here!! He's here!!!( with pics )

Oh and here are a few pics I snapped of him when I caught him exploring. He's so cute! :D

I'll try to get his entire face next time! :lol:

·
Registered
254 Posts

Ahh, a cutie! And a shy little fellow. Love the second pic. x

·
Registered
508 Posts

i just love his color! he is such a cutie!
and you will get used to the wheel =P after time it becomes a normal part of life!
hehehe

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

So here's some pics from yesterday's bonding time. He was so nice and he even snuggled up against my arm and almost fell asleep until my doggies started to bark outside. :roll:
Ok so here they are! :

This is him just exploring.

This is him chillin' just relaxin' :lol:

These are of him just being cute and curious.

And here he is at the end of bonding time cowering at the site of a mealie.

Isn't he such a cutie??? Haha I love him so much and today's only the 3rd day he's here.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Re: Oreo is here!! He's here!!!(with pics)(new pics)

GAH you are killin me with these pictures!!!!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Re: Oreo is here!! He's here!!!(with pics)(new pics)

Your little Oreo is quite adorable. That photo of him half hiding his face is super cute.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts