Hedgehog Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My hedgehog has had a small bump growing on her mouth for a year. Recently it has rapidly grown in the past few months. It is a huge red mass on the side of her mouth and a white like mass is on the top of the inside of her mouth. My vet had no idea what it was ( I live in the middle of now-where with no exotic vet) and said to make her comfortable. It's been about two months and half of the tumour mass has fell off. It is bloody and still there. Half remains on the outside and the white remains on the inside. She still goes on her wheel, drinks water, eats and uses the litter. I'm at a loss to what this thing is. I have attached a photo. As you can see the red is on the outside and the white matter is leading to the roof her mouth.

·
Registered
Holly is a female African Pygmy Hedgehog. She weighs about 463g and was born May 28, 2019.
507 Posts
Cancer is really just when the cells mutate and do something they aren't supposed to do. So yes, in my opinion, this looks like it might possibly be cancer. To a lot of people, this is a scary word, but it is just cells not behaving properly. It could also be a fatty tumor, an infection, or something else. I am not a vet, so don't quote me on this! If you can't get to an exotic vet, I would suggest calling one and asking for a prescription and instructions and then going to the vet near you with a referral and getting this same medicine. I would advise looking into that for like a painkiller or something. I don't know if you could do this, but hopefully, you can! If not, maybe you could look into something like CBD or something else that could help ease the pain. How old is your hedgehog? Is surgery a worthwhile option? Does he eat soft food? I don't really know exactly what advice to give since I don't know what's going on, but if you can afford it, the vet could do an ultrasound to see if the mass looks cancerous or not. They could also aspirate it to see if it is a fatty tumor. I really hope you get some answers and that your little guy heals up!! Sorry I couldn't be of more help!!! <3 :)

·
Registered
Holly is a female African Pygmy Hedgehog. She weighs about 463g and was born May 28, 2019.
507 Posts
Could it also be an infected tooth? Can she still eat well? Also sorry, I called her a he in my previous message!!!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts