Hedgehog Central banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting to look into getting a new baby, so while I'm on a waiting list with a breeder I'm wondering if I should limit my choice to a specific gender. It might end up that I'll fall in love with a particular hedgehog in a litter, so I'd like to keep my options open.

Quinn is a 4 year old girl who got recently fixed because of a tumor. Because of that specific mess and how hard it has been for me to deal with it I'm sort of leaning towards a male to avoid it all together! I'm also interested in a boy just for the sake of trying something different.

I don't see the point of even trying to house her with another girl, so since they'll be housed separately (and from searching the forums having the cages in the same room doesn't seem to be a problem) the gender doesn't matter in that regard.

The only thing I'm wondering is, since Quinn is fixed and babies can't happen, would I be able to take her out at the same time as a male for bonding/play time? Of course I might have to end up doing it separately (even with 2 girls) if one is agressive towards the other, or what ever else, so it would depend on their behavior and I'd ajust accordingly.

I'm just wondering if it is completely out of the question with a male. I know some animals won't try to breed with fixed females but hedgehogs don't go into heat so it might be different for them?

Has anyone had that particular experience? Do males always try to breed with a fixed female? If that's the case then taking them out together would be impossible, so I'd have to take that into consideration when I make my pick.

Again, I am not considering housing them together. I'm only wondering if I can have both on my lap at the same time, basically.

·
Premium Member
8,950 Posts
A male could have playtime with her. Usually they have no interest because the female is fixed, but I have heard of a couple of instances where the male still did. Of course as you mentioned, it will also depend on the individual personalities if either male or female would get along with her for playtime.

Some people spay their girls when 6 months old to avoid all the reproductive issues. This would be worth considering if it's another girl you fall in love with. :)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mmm, so it's not completely out of the question to take them out together. I can accept that, it's just a matter of keeping an eye on them and seeing how they react to each other, and if he decides to get frisky (or if either of them gets aggressive) it'll be over. Quinn is very curious so I'd expect her to be interested in a lap mate. We'll see I guess, I just love knowing that it's possible.

And yeah, if I do end up with another girl I'm thinking of spaying her. I've been very strongly militant about spaying cats and dogs, not just because of the obvious issues but also because of the reproductive problems that come with age. I've lost a dog to it (but then she still lived to 14!) because we didn't know any better then, then my friend lost her cat at 7 year old because she ignored my nagging :( Somehow I guess I misinterpreted things when I saw that spaying hedgehogs was not common practice and though it wasn't as much an issue for them. Then she got sick and I felt horrible :(

It'll probably be much less expensive to do it preventively as opposed to doing it for a sick hog, too!

·
Registered
666 Posts
For the short time I had my female (also spayed) one of my boys ignored her at first and then attacked her and not in a mating way. My other male did try mounting her most of the time until the night she got sick. It depends on the male, but you don't want her constantly stressed and do have to keep in mind no matter the sex they may never get along or may for a bit and then turn on each other one day. Hedgies are solitary animals after all

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I'm aware of that. But it could happen with either sexes. I'm not looking into housing them together and I'm not convincing myself that Quinn is lonely and totally needs a friend. I guess it'd mostly be a convenience for me, if they get along I'll be able to give them both the same amount of attention at the same time.

But I'll adjust to whatever happen and won't try to force them into being buddies if they don't like each other. Or if they like each other too much. :|

·
Registered
666 Posts
I did say no matter the sex theymay never get along.
I also never said anything about housing them together. My male that attacked her wasn't housed with her that happened when they were out in the playpen together.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh I know that. I'm just saying it because I don't want people to think I'm being irresponsible.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I don't have my hedgehog yet, and I don't know anything based on my own experience, just what I have read.

I think that it would definitely be worth a try, to see if they could be out together for a short time. You clearly know to be very cautious, and you seem like you won't be leaving them unsupervised. I don't see there being a problem with it :) You know what to watch for!

But like I said, I can't give any advice based on experience. So I may be wrong. This is just my opinion based on the knowledge you have shown in the thread, and the words of experienced breeders like Nancy and others.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts